Mysterious Midnight Mango Margarita is a black Halloween cocktail recipe with fresh mango purée, lime, tequila, orange juice and activated charcoal powder!
Black cocktails for Halloween
This black-as-night mango margarita recipe is actually a fruity, tropical beverage disguised in a veil of black by the addition of a tiny bit of food grade charcoal powder.
A delicious mango margarita recipe for any time of the year. Use food grade activated charcoal powder to add some boo to your halloween holiday. Or, serve without the charcoal powder to make a more traditional simple mango margarita.
Simply scoop and blend the flesh of a couple mangos, squeeze some limes and oranges, and you’re done! All that’s left to do is get your spook on!
Try these other delicious cocktail recipes with similar flavors- Spicy Mango Moscow Mule, Rose Jalapeno Margaritas, Mango Habanero Margaritas, or a similar black colored cocktail the Full Moontini. Or even try this all natural green cocktail the S’lime Rickey this Halloween season.
- Activated charcoal powder – The charcoal adds color and a bit of texture, but zero flavor. Surprisingly, the inky black color does not leave its mark on your teeth or lips. With many claimed benefits from aiding in detoxification, purification, digestion, and hangover prevention, it’s no surprise that activated charcoal is now making its way as a big trend in cocktails. Preventing hangovers during happy hour? Yes, please! My favorite way to use activated charcoal in cocktails is to infuse the liquor with the charcoal powder, either in the bottle or a smaller jar. An infused bottle of liquor makes a fun addition to your bar cart. Disclaimer: Activated charcoal has many claimed benefits, but as with any supplement, please consult your healthcare practitioner prior to use.
- Mangoes – use fresh mangos to make fresh mango puree in a food processor or blender. Fresh mangos are so sweet that by making your own easy mango purée, you eliminate the need for extra sweeteners like sugar or agave. Canned mango juice can be substituted but won’t be quite as fresh and flavorful.
- Lime – for fresh lime juice
- Oranges – to make fresh squeezed orange juice
- Silver tequila
- Tajin chili seasoning– a mix of dried chile, salt, and dehydrated lemon juice. If you can’t find tajin seasoning you can leave it out or rim your glasses with plain salt, black salt, chamoy or your own mix of chile powder and salt. To make a mango margarita with chamoy substitute this sweet chili puree for the tajin seasoning. Dip the rim of the margarita glass in chamoy then salt.
Step by step instructions
- Prepare ingredients. Juice lime and orange and slice and scoop the flesh from 1 ½ mangos, reserve remaining ½ mango for garnish.
- In a blender, purée mango.
- In a small jar, add tequila and charcoal powder. Shake until evenly colored.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add mango puree, lime juice, orange juice, and infused tequila.
- Place Tajin on a small plate. Using the squeezed lime, rim glasses with lime juice then dip in tajin.
- Strain into chili rimmed glass or a rocks glass filled with ice before serving.
- Garnish as desired. The black color is so striking that you can serve simply with a mango spear. The contrast of the dark black cocktail and the bright orange mango is a stunning sight! Perfect for your Halloween soirees. Add a tajin rim, or get artistic with ghoulish phrases written with white chalk marker, or add an elegant edible bloom like orange-hued spicy nasturtium edible flowers.
Non alcoholic black halloween mocktail
For a just-as-fun beverage without alcohol make a virgin mango margarita. Simply mix up the mango, lime, and orange with a bit of charcoal powder and top with club soda just before serving.
This recipe makes enough Midnight Mango Margarita for two servings, but can easily be quadrupled into a pitcher cocktail. One teaspoon of activated charcoal powder is all it takes to make enough black tequila for a pitcher to easily turn it into a mango margarita pitcher recipe.
- 2 large mangoes about ½ cup puree and sliced for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lime juice from 1 lime
- ½ cup orange juice from 2 oranges
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- ½ teaspoon activated charcoal powder
- ¼ cup tajin citrus chili seasoning, optional
- Slice and scoop the flesh from 1 ½ mangos and reserve the remaining half mango for garnish.
- Prepare ingredients. Juice lime and orange and puree mango in a blender.
- In a small jar, add tequila and charcoal powder. Shake until evenly colored.2 ounces silver tequila, ½ teaspoon activated charcoal powder
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add mango puree, lime juice, orange juice, and infused tequila.2 tablespoons lime juice, ½ cup orange juice, 2 large mangoes
- Strain into chile-rimmed glass or a rocks glass filled with ice before serving.¼ cup tajin
- Place Tajin on a small plate. Using the squeezed lime, rim glasses with lime juice then dip in Tajin.
- (Optional) garnish with a skewer of mango chunks or an edible flower.