The Best Flaky All Butter Pie Crust is made with a simple easy recipe that yields fabulous results time and time again!
An easy, flaky no fail three ingredient pie crust recipe for sweet and savory pie recipes.
Favorite easy flaky pie crust recipe
This is an amazing all around pie crust. A homemade pie dough recipe that can be used as a crust for sweet pies like pumpkin pie and apple pie. And as a crust for savory pies like chicken pot pie and meat hand pies.
The secret to the sturdy but tender flakiness is in using a light touch, cold hands and tools, and the best quality premium butter.
How to use
This easy pie crust recipe can be used in all sorts of pie recipes whether par baked, blind baked or baked with the filling inside! Use all butter pie crust for savory recipes like quiche and chicken pot pie. Or for sweet sheet pan pies, pie bars, hand pies, traditional pies, peach cobbler, tarts , galettes and more.
- All purpose flour
- Unsalted butter- cold or frozen
- Granulated sugar
- Ice water
Step by step instructions
- Ensure all pie crust ingredients are as cold as possible. Refrigerate butter right up until you’re ready to use, then cut into small cubes.
Alternately, freeze butter and shred with a cheese grater.
Or grate frozen butter with a food processor.
- Add butter to dry ingredients.
- Using your hands, work butter into dry ingredients until only pea sized pieces remain. Then, slowly add ice water just until the dough comes together.
- Wrap in plastic and chill.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Make apple, pear berry, blackberry, cranberry, pumpkin pie, carrot pie, chocolate pie and more!
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 disk of dough to an 12-inch round- turning the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls to prevent it from sticking and keep it even. Fill as desired, topping filling with reserved two tablespoons butter.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit unless recipe directs otherwise.
This double pie crust recipe yields enough pastry for two 9″ pie crusts.
How to store
Store all butter pie crust tightly covered with plastic wrap. Stored refrigerated pie dough will last up to 7 days.
Or tightly wrapped pie crust can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold two cubes, or frozen
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8-12 tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cube cold butter into small pieces using a sharp knife, or grate frozen butter using a cheese grater. Remove 2 tablespoons of butter and reserve then cube the remaining cold butter into small pieces. Cut in using fingertips or a food processor until only pea-sized pieces remain. Sprinkle with water, 3 tablespoons at a time, while tossing lightly just until dough comes together. Divide dough in half. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 5 days.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 disk of dough to an 12-inch round- turning the dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls to prevent it from sticking and keep it even.
- Fill as desired, topping filling with reserved two tablespoons butter.
- Bake at 425 degrees unless otherwise instructed in recipe.
Leave a Reply