The 1776 Red, White and Blue 4th of July Cocktail made from fresh ingredients and naturally blue Empress 1908 Gin.
This gin cocktail recipe is such a festive patriotic drink for holidays but is also delicious served year round!
Festive 4th of July cocktail
The term cocktail wasn’t coined until the early 1800s so it’s more likely our founding fathers would have enjoyed a rum punch rather than a cocktail like this. But, nonetheless, this beautiful red white and blue layered cocktail seems like a seeming fit to celebrate American Independence Day, July 4th, 1776. Or whenever the need to be patriotic hits!
I debated on the most fitting 4th of July drink name for this festive layered Empress gin cocktail. Going back and forth between The 1776 and Ms. Independent finally settling on The 1776. A delicious refreshing 4th of July cocktail made from simple, fresh ingredients.
Typically 4th of July layered drinks rely of Blue Curacao, Malibu rum and grenadine for their red, white and blue layers. This cocktail recipe uses fresh ingredients instead. Simply red raspberries, coconut water and butterfly pea flower gin.
- Raspberries – fresh, ripe berries washed clean.
- Granulated sugar – or substitute honey or your favorite sweetener. Or omit sugar all together for a less sweet more herbal cocktail.
- Coconut water – or substitute coconut milk, tonic water, sparkling water, or cream of coconut for the coconut water but each will add a different flavor and texture to this 4th of July cocktail.
- Empress 1908 Gin – a beautiful naturally color changing gin distilled with butterfly pea flowers. This delicate floral gin pairs so well with the fresh berries and coconut water on a hot summer day. But you can substitute with Blue Curacao or other blue colored liquor like Unicorn Vodka or make your own infusion with fresh butterfly pea flowers infused in vodka, gin, tequila, white rum or other clear spirit.
Step by step instructions
- Place several fresh, clean raspberries in the bottom of a serving glass and muddle with a teaspoon of granulated sugar or honey to form the red base layer. Or substitute berry jam for the muddled berry mixture to make an easy jam cocktail.
- Fill the glass completely packed full with ice, using crushed ice if available.
- Add coconut water to form a white layer.
- Gently pour Empress 1908 Gin over a large spoon to add the top blue layer.
- Serve this layered 4th of July cocktail with a stir stick or straw.
- Stir and enjoy!
How to serve
Serve layered but with a straw or stir stick as this drink should be stirred before drinking. The sparkler shown here is strictly for photo decoration and should never be served in actual drinks as it would cause severe burn risk and the particulates of burnoff are not safe for consumption.
- 6 medium fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 ounces coconut water
- crushed ice to fill
- 2 ounces blue gin
- Place raspberries in the bottom of a serving glass with a teaspoon of sugar. Muddle.
- Fill glass with crushed ice.
- Add coconut water.
- Gently pour gin over a large spoon to top.
- Serve layered and stir before enjoying.
Leave a Reply