One Pot Braised Beef Roast with Mushrooms a comfort food classic packed full of nutrition! Simple to make this one pot meal slowly braises in the oven. An easy weeknight comfort meal.
Weeknight comfort meal
Simple enough for weekdays, but delicious enough to impress company One Pot Braised Beef with Mushrooms only gets better the longer the flavors marry. So go ahead make a double batch and have enough for tonight and for leftovers tomorrow.
- Beef tips – or substitute beef stew meat or a larger beef roast
- Mushrooms – crimini mushrooms, button mushrooms or wild mushrooms are all nutritional powerhouses high in selenium, vitamin D, and iron!
- Canola oil
- Dried thyme
- Tomato paste
- Red wine
- Peas – fresh or frozen (no need to thaw)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped – chopped for garnish, optional
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pat beef dry and coat with flour and salt and pepper. Brown meat, in batches if necessary, then remove.
- Caramelize onions and mushrooms in the beef fat.
- Stir in thyme and tomato paste then add red wine to deglaze.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add browned beef, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour in preheated oven.
- Remove lid and cook another hour.
- Add frozen peas and continue to cook until warm, 30 minutes for frozen peas or only 10 minutes if using fresh shelled peas.
- Top with chopped fresh herbs.
How to serve
Serve over buttered noodles, rice, quinoa, polenta, or with thick slices of crusty bread.
With eight large servings, there’s more than enough for seconds or leftovers for a day or two. You can even freeze half to be reheated later.
Pressure cooker or slow cooker
Easily adapted to a slow cooker if you need more time away from the kitchen or an Instant Pot if you need it done even faster.
- To cook in the pressure cooker brown all ingredients using the sear setting, omit water, and pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
- To cook in the slow cooker brown beef, mushrooms and onions on the stovetop and transfer to the slow cooker after bringing wine and water to a boil.
How to store
Store refrigerated for up to three days or freeze for three months. Reheat in oven or stovetop.
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large onions sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup peas frozen or fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish optional
- Pat meat dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle flour to coat.
- Preheat oven to 300° Fahreinhet and heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium high heat.
- Brown beef in two batches until it develops of nice crust, removing meat to rest and reserving browned bits and rendered fat.
- Add onions to the pot and saute until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, and mushrooms and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook about 1 minute before adding wine and water.
- Bring to a boil, add browned beef, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook in preheated 300º fahrenheit oven for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and cook for another hour.
- Add frozen peas and bake until warmed through, 20-30 minutes.