Braised Kale and Mushroom Egg Breakfast Skillet is a kale breakfast recipe made with mushrooms and kale and homemade dressing.
With a citrusy homemade dressing and loads of flavor packed ingredients this will soon become your new favorite braised kale recipe.
This warm braised kale salad recipe combines crispy mushrooms and onions with kale braised in a skillet with homemade oregano dressing. The whole warm kale salad is topping with a crispy fried egg that drizzles down over the whole mixture bringing the dish together, and making it perfect with a big crusty slice of toast.
Kale and mushroom recipes are very popular because these two nutrition packed ingredients go so well together. And they’re even better with eggs! Kale and eggs and mushrooms and eggs are such great companions but kale is usually better known for kale chips and kale salads than kale breakfast recipes.
Whether you consider it a sauteed kale or braised kale recipe and serve as a side dish. Or consider it a kale and egg warm breakfast salad. This delicious kale recipe will quickly become a favorite!
- Kale – stems removed and roughly chopped
- Bacon – chopped into roughly 1″ pieces
- Onion – sliced
- Mushrooms – any mushrooms like shiitake, crimini, button mushrooms or foraged wild mushrooms like chanterelles.
- Oregano lime dressing – made from lime juice, olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread bacon and onion evenly on a baking sheet.
- Add mushrooms, 3 whole garlic cloves and toss with salt and pepper.
- Roast until bacon is fully cooked, about 20 minutes. Stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile prepare Oregano Lime dressing. Juice one lime, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon salt and whisk.
- And sauté kale in a large pan over medium high heat with olive oil and chopped garlic. Cook about 3 minutes until bright green.
- Add lime oregano dressing to hot pan and toss to coat. Remove from heat.
- Remove bacon and onions from oven when crispy.
- Toss kale with other ingredients on the sheet pan to keep warm. Then wipe out skillet and use it to fry an egg for each serving.
- Serve Crispy Mushroom and Kale Salad topped with a fried egg and a slice of crusty bread.
This sheet pan meal yields 4-6 servings, depending on how light or generous they are. Easily doubled for a larger family or for a brunch crowd. Or adapted for a smaller serving cooked in a skillet instead! This smaller serving size is also perfect as a campground meal cooked over open flames.
What to make with kale
Looking for other great kale recipes? Check out Raspberry Kale Salad, Orzo Kale Salad, and Blueberry Quinoa Massaged Kale Salad.
- 1 pound bacon chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms or any combination of any variety,
- 4 cloves garlic 3 whole, 1 chopped
- 2 bunches kale stems removed and chopped
- 6 large eggs
oregano lime dressing
- ¼ cup lime juice from 1 small lime
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spread bacon and onion on baking sheet. Add mushrooms, 3 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper.
- Roast mixture about 20 minutes or until bacon is fully cooked. Stirring once after 10 minutes.
- Make dressing by whisking lime juice, oregano, ½ teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 chopped garlic clove.
- When garlic is fragrant, after about 30 seconds, add kale and cook until bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Toss the cooked kale with the oregano lime dressing. When bacon and onions are crispy remove from oven and add the seasoned kale.
- Wipe out the skillet and use it to fry one egg for each serving.
- Serve crispy mushrooms and kale topped with a fried egg and a slice of rustic bread.
Leave a Reply