Color Changing Butterfly Pea Flower Mocktail is a color changing butterfly pea drink with mojito inspired flavors.
Serve it as is, sparkling or topped with cream this is a flavorful and refreshing butterfly pea tea recipe!
Color changing mocktail
Like a fresh new take on the classic arnold palmer, which is a mixture of tea and lemonade, this butterfly pea flower mocktail is a blend of iced butterfly pea flower tea made with mint (for extra refreshing flavor) that’s been sweetened and combined with lime juice to give it delicious mojito-inspired flavor AND activate it’s color-changing power.
Enjoy this butterfly pea drink as is or add a splash of cream to turn it into an iced tea latte. Not looking for a mocktail recipe? Stir in a shot of rum or vodka to make it a butterfly pea flower tea cocktail instead.
However you serve it you’re going to love this magic color changing butterfly pea flower mocktail recipe!
- Butterfly pea tea – made from butterfly pea flowers or butterfly pea tea bags. Plus mint leaves (or mint tea), sugar, ice and water to make a refreshing sweet mint tea that changes color.
- Lime juice – the lime juice pairs with the minty tea perfectly but you can play around with different citrus juice for different flavor and color options.
- Club soda – optional, to add a bit of sparkly carbonation to the mocktail. Or substitute lemon lime soda for more sweetness if you’d like.
Step by step instructions
- Make a Color Changing Blue Butterfly Pea Tea that actually tastes good by combining hot water with butterfly pea flowers, mint leaves and sugar. Steep for 5 minutes then strain through a fine mesh strainer into an ice filled pitcher to cool. Store refrigerated for 24-72 hours.
- When ready to serve pour blue tea into a tall glass filled with ice leaving room at the top.
- Top with lime juice. And add club soda.
- Watch as the drink changes color in the glass right before your eyes.
How to serve
Serve this butterfly pea mocktail garnished with lime wheels (or wedges) and fresh mint or butterfly pea flowers, if you have them. The lime and mint hints at the refreshing minty lime flavor.
You can also add a splash of cream to make a creamy mojito inspired tea latte.
The color changing action makes it the perfect drink recipe for parties!
Serve it as a fun drink for kids science events, as a punch for fairy parties and magic themed birthdays. Or use this drink recipe to trick your family on April Fool’s Day or St Patrick’s Day.
Simply brew the butterfly tea as directed with mint and sugar. Stir in lime juice, fill pitcher with ice, serve and enjoy! Or increase the serving size even more by doubling the tea batch and serving in a large punch bowl with citrus ice cubes and filled with lemon lime soda.
Sweet Butterfly Pea Tea
- 2 tablespoons dried butterfly pea flowers or 4 butterfly pea tea bags
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves or 2 spearmint tea bags
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups ice
Butterfly Pea Flower Tea Cocktail
- 6 ounces sweet butterfly pea tea chilled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 ounces club soda optional,
- lime wheels optional, to garnish
- fresh mint optional, to garnish
- Bring water to boil. Meanwhile, place mint leaves and butterfly pea flowers in large bowl with sugar. When boiling remove water from heat and pour over the tea mixture in the bowl. Steep butterfly pea tea for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile place ice in a large pitcher and after the tea is done steeping, strain the sweet blue tea concentrate over the ice to cool quickly. Store refrigerated until ready to use.
- When ready to serve pour sweet blue butterfly pea tea over ice in tall glass, leaving about 2 inches of room on the top.
- Add a splash of club soda.
- Then add a float of lime juice to the top of the glass.
- Garnish with lime wheels and/or fresh mint as desired and serve.