Braised Cabbage and Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner is a quick, easy smoked sausage dinner recipe.
Sheet pan dinners are a great way to get meals on the table fast and this grain free, gluten free recipe is sure to please!
Baked cabbage recipe
A delicious braised cabbage recipe with perfectly roasted sausage and bursted sheet pan cherry tomatoes that can be served as is, over rice or pasta or in a toasted hoagie roll.
However you serve it baking cabbage and sausage in the oven is a perfect way to serve a nutritious filling meal fast.
- Smoked sausage – either homemade or purchased smoked sausage like kielbasa.
- Cabbage – braised red cabbage or you can also substitute green cabbage, napa cabbage or a mix of cabbage. Making roasted, braised or baked cabbage is the perfect way to maintain its texture and intensify its flavor. For another baked cabbage recipe try this corned beef and cabbage in the oven.
- Tomatoes – baking tomatoes until they are bursted and bubbly is a delicious way to serve cherry tomatoes or substitute small roma tomatoes, or any other tomatoes you have.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Water – or substitute light beer or chicken stock instead of water to make braised cabbage with a little extra flavor.
- Chunky basil pesto – a rustic combination of fresh basil, chopped pistachios, vinegar, garlic, lemon and red pepper flakes.
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, wash tomatoes and cut cabbage into thick slices. Toss cabbage and tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and place in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake cabbage and tomatoes for 10 minutes then push veggies to the side and place sausages on the sheet. Poke smoked sausage a few times with a fork and pour a little water over sausage. Optional, sprinkle a little fennel seeds or caraway over the entire sheet pan meal before baking.
- Roast cabbage and sausages 20 minutes or until sausage and cabbages are browned, and tomatoes are beginning to burst.
- Meanwhile, combine pesto ingredients into a rustic Chunky Basil Pesto.
- Serve roasted cabbage and sausage with tomatoes and the chunky basil pesto on the side and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa roughly 1 rope of sausage
- 1 large cabbage red cabbage or green cabbage or a mix
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Chunky Pistachio Basil Pesto
- 1 bunch fresh basil minced
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahreinheit.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Place sausages in boiling water and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove sausage and reserve ½ cup of water.
- Meanwhile, wash tomatoes and thickly slice cabbage. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, push veggies to the side and place sausages on the sheet. Pierce all over with a fork and pour reserved cooking water over sausage.
- Roast 20 minutes or until kielbasa and cabbages are browned, and tomatoes are beginning to burst.
- Serve topped with Chunky Pistachio Basil Pesto.
Chunky Pistachio Basil Pesto
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir. Cover and refrigerate up to 7 days.