Sausage Kale Soup with White Beans is a rustic, delicious, quick and easy kale soup recipe that can be on the table in less than thirty minutes!
Featuring the flavors of sweet Italian sausage, creamy white beans, hearty kale, savory onion, garlic and spicy red pepper and is so delicious and complex it’s hard to believe that it really can be made so quickly!
Easy kale recipe
It’s always hard to find a great kale recipe. After kale chips, mushroom kale breakfast bowls, kale pasta and kale salad you may be left wondering what to make with kale, especially if you’re growing this hearty green in your garden.
Why not make kale soup!
Seriously, kale is best for soups because of the health benefits of kale but also because of it’s hearty texture that keeps its shape in soups much better than most greens.
This sausage kale white bean soup is similar to ribollita, or Tuscan white bean and kale soup. Or the creamy kale soup with potatoes from olive garden, zuppa toscana. But it actually more closely resembles calde verde, or Portuguese kale soup. A quick and easy kale soup recipe made with sausage, kale, white beans and potatoes.
- Sweet Italian sausage- ground or in casing, cut in rounds. Substitute spicy Italian sausage for a spicy kale soup. Or you can even substitute bacon. Or you can use shredded rotisserie chicken and make this even faster as a chicken kale soup recipe.
- Kale – stalks removed and torn into bite size pieces
- White beans – butter beans or lima beans or the smaller cannellini beans can be used. Or feel free to substitute potatoes for the white beans to make potato kale soup.
- Chicken stock – or bone broth
- Onion – sliced
- Garlic– chopped
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
Step by step instructions
- In a large stockpot over medium high heat brown Italian sausage.
- Once browned, add onions and saute until beginning to soften.
- Stir in red pepper flakes, garlic and kale.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add white beans.
- Simmer, uncovered, for at least 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with shredded parmesan cheese.
How to serve
Serve Sausage Kale Soup as a light lunch or dinner by itself. Or to make this hearty soup even more filling serve with salad, toast and a generous helping of parmesan cheese for a delicious, easy soup meal any time of year!
This kale soup recipe will yield roughly 8 cups of soup. Enough soup 4-6 servings.
Allow Sausage Kale Soup to cool then tightly cover and refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days. Make a big batch and eat it for a few days. The flavors only get better the 2nd day (and 3rd, and 4th).
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large large onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chopped kale from 1 large bunch of kale, about 12 ounces
- 15 ounces canned white beans drained
- 4 cups organic unsalted chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Place a large stockpot over medium high heat and add Italian sausage and a teaspoon of oil if necessary to prevent sticking. Brown sausage, stirring as necessary.
- Once sausage is browned stir in sliced onions and cook until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Once onions are soft add red pepper flakes, garlic and chopped kale. Stir to coat and cook over medium heat.
- After about 2 minutes when kale begins to soften and wilt, increase heat to medium high again and carefully stir in chicken stock. Bring kale soup to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add drained white beans, cover and simmer until beans are heated through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Season sausage kale soup to taste salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve topped with a handful of parmesan cheese.
Leave a Reply