Lemon Broccoli Chicken Foil Pack Dinners are a light, fresh, easy-to-cook, all in one package no-fuss meal.
Prepped ahead of time and cleaned up in seconds they’re perfect for camping, simple summer entertaining or quick weeknight dinners, indoors and out.
Easy outdoor meal
Summer living is in full swing which means (hopefully!) we’re all outdoors, soaking up the sunshine and fresh air as possible.
I know I certainly am. And every night when dinner rolls around I find myself reaching for simple meals. simplest meals. Usually a picnic-style cheese plate, an entree salad, or something fresh off the grill.
This chicken foil pack dinner does not disappoint. A light, fresh, easy to throw together meal that can be made ahead of time. Big flavor with less than 10 ingredients, and with a few minutes of prep. Perfect for summer nights around a campfire, but also just a great easy recipe for any time of the year. No campfire? No problem. Pop it in the oven instead.
With a short list of ingredients it’s important that everything in the foil pack is fresh and delicious. Fresh herbs, bright dressing, rich proteins and flavorful produce ensure the best tasting finished product.
- Creamy lemon dressing – the best homemade dressing, ever, imho. The idea here is to flavor all components of the packet while also adding some fat and liquid to add steam while cooking. Switch it up with any other salad dressing that you feel would pair well.
- Chicken thighs add a rich savory flavor that balances the bright lemon. Thighs are more difficult to overcook than chicken breasts and usually cheaper too! That being said, I’m a big believer in mastering a method then winging it using what you have, and Lemon Chicken and Broccoli Foil Packs are also delicious with boneless, skinless breasts or tenderloins. Just don’t use skin on chicken or make sure to take the time to remove the skin yourself first. The steam that makes this meal so delicious doesn’t do great things to chicken skin.
- Red onion – adds a sweet flavor with an aromatic bite but shallots, scallions or any other onion can be substituted.
- Broccoli – or any other vegetable with a similar cooking time like cauliflower, asparagus, broccolini, etc.
- Basil – basil and lemon are amazing together but any other fresh soft herb (parsley, dill, chives, etc.) can be substituted.
- Lemon slices – the citrus is essential here but any other citrus can be substituted in both the dressing the foil pack.
How to make
Basically pile all the ingredients together in foil. Then grill, or bake.
The onions get caramelized, the broccoli lightly roasted, the chicken juicy and the whole meals gets a bright, tangy flavor from the creamy lemon dressing.
- Make Creamy Lemon Dressing with garlic, lemon zest, sugar and salt, lemon juice, vinegar, mayo and oil (can be done up to 5 days in advance)
- Heat grill or preheat oven.
- Evenly divide onion, chicken, and broccoli among 4 pieces of aluminum foil layered with parchment paper. Season with salt and pepper, dressing, basil and sliced lemon before sealing packets.
- Grill over medium heat for 10 minutes, flip, then continue grilling for 10-15 minutes longer. Or bake in 350 oven for 30-40 minutes.
Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Then refrigerate until ready to cook.
For camping place sealed foil packs in large plastic storage bags in the cooler then cook over bonfire on night 1 or 2. It takes zero effort at the campground and is easy to cleanup, which means more time making memories and enjoying nature.
Other camping meal ideas
What are your favorite easy summer meals? What do you cook when camping? Big one pot meals low and slow meals. Campfire cooked meals that don’t need much prep or cleaning at the campground. Foil packs, pulled pork, cook ahead pork ribs, camp beans, or classic beef and bean chili.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs skin removed, about 1 pound
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 8 cups broccoli florets about 2 large stems
- 1 large lemon sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil whole leaves
- ½ cup creamy lemon dressing
Creamy Lemon Dressing
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup olive oil
Creamy Lemon Dressing
- Place chopped garlic, lemon zest, sugar and salt in a medium lidded jar.
- Add lemon juice and vinegar. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add mayonnaise and stir to combine.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil until thick.
- Store refrigerated until ready to serve
- Heat gas or charcoal grill.
- Cut 4 large (14×12 inch) sheets of aluminum foil. (optional- layer parchment paper in the middle of each sheet of foil.
- Layer ¼ of the red onion, 2 cups of broccoli, topped with 1 piece of chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle on 2 tablespoons of lemon dressing, and add a few basil leaves and lemon slices to each packet.
- Seal edges with a large fold and fold down again, leaving space for steam in the packet. bring up the opposite edges and seal tightly.
- Grill covered over medium heat, about 10 minutes, then carefully flip packets over. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Let sit off heat for few minutes and top with fresh basil (optional) before serving.
Pin for later!
Hi, I stumbled into site purely by chance, & I’m so happy I did. I love the care & love you devote to this blog & your attention to details, I specifically appreciate the information on food, herbs, & health benefits provided by said food. I’m impressed by the kindness & honesty shown by you, regarding, Cosette’s recipe on Toum. It shows me your character & it’s pretty refreshing seeing sisters being kind & thoughtful to each other. You made me a fan!
Keep up the good work.
ONE armed MAMA
What a bunch of amazing compliments 🙂 So happy you’ve found your way here, happy to have you!