Red, White and Blue Summer Fruit Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing is the perfect light, refreshing summer salad to bring to parties, picnics and potlucks.
Perfect cold summer salad recipe for outdoor adventures
Prepped ahead and stored in individual Rubbermaid® FreshWorks™ produce containers, this salad can be combined right before serving for the freshest taste no matter where you are – party, picnic, beach, potluck, campground or backyard! A delicious light dish that travels well!
Who doesn’t love a good potluck? Tables and tables of various fascinating dishes all made with love by your loved ones. Excitingly walking the line filling up with little tastes of everything. Some because they’re delicious and some were fun just for the adventure of it – cheddar cheese jello salad anyone? Some are scraped clean quickly and some dishes sit sadly on the potluck table for way too long begging for some empathetic soul to spoon out a few globs. Even if just to drop the plate in the trash right around the corner.
Putting yourself and your recipes out there for your loved ones can be terrifying! We’ve all been there. searching for last minute potluck ideas that are affordable, tasty, impressive AND travel well. Skip the pasta salad and never bring home a full casserole dish at the end of the night with this simple crowd pleasing fresh summer fruit salad recipe!
Red, White and Blue Summer Fruit Salad with Creamy Lemon Dressing is full of crisp romaine lettuce and fresh berries topped with a creamy, bright, garlicky lemon dressing and crunchy almonds. With all the flavors needed to be delicious but simple enough to not be scary, it’s always one of the first to go.
This post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SeeHowFreshWorks #CollectiveBias
Tools and ingredients
- Rubbermaid® FreshWorks™ – Using Rubbermaid® FreshWorks™ produce containers, ingredients stay fresh and delicious until ready to pack to the party.
- Mixed greens – romaine is sturdy and flavorful but you can use any salad greens you desire. Spinach, arugula, and baby greens would all be delicious. Or if bringing to a super warm location consider swapping for romaine or even shredded cabbage to help withstand wilting.
- Berries – Strawberries and Blueberries go with the red white and blue theme (perfect for Memorial Day or Independence Day!) but feel free to substitute with whatever berries or fruit are delicious, available and in season around you! Blackberries, raspberries, mango, apple and oranges are all delicious with the Creamy Lemon Dressing.
- Almonds – raw or roasted or substitute for macadamia nuts, walnuts, pecans, or even sunflower seed kernels!
- Creamy Lemon Dressing – a fresh lemon, garlic and mayo based homemade salad dressing. Feel free to substitute with your favorite creamy, sweet and tangy dressing. Coleslaw or raspberry vinaigrette are great options.
Step by step instructions
- Prepare ingredients. Wash berries and lettuce, thoroughly dry and store in separate containers. Chop almond and store separately too.
- Make Creamy Lemon Dressing and store in tightly sealed container.
- Once ready, pack ingredients from fridge to party without any worry of spillage with Rubbermaid FreshWorks containers.
- At the party unpack and your fruit salad will be done in minutes!
- Start with a layer of greens in the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Sprinkle strawberries and blueberries on top.
- Drizzle Creamy Lemon Dressing over top and toss lightly to coat.
- Top with chopped almonds and serve.
How to make ahead
Fruit salad will not keep overnight if you try to mix it together ahead of time. Instead prepare all fruit salad ingredients ahead of time and combine immediately before serving.
Make it your own
- Leave out the greens for a more traditional style fruit salad using creamy lemon dressing in place of the typical sweet honey’d yogurt fruit salad dressing or the sweet whipping cream used in ambrosia fruit salad.
- Or add shredded rotisserie or sliced grilled chicken (or even steak slices!) to make this summer fruit salad into more of a hearty entrée salad that could be served as a picnic lunch or light dinner.
- 1 head romaine lettuce washed, dried and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint blueberries washed
- 1 quart strawberries washed and stemmed
- 1/4 cup raw almonds chopped
Creamy Lemon Dressing
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest from 2 small lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from 2 small lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayo olive oil mayonnaise preferred
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Prep lettuce, berries and almonds and store seperately.
- Make creamy lemon dressing.
- When ready to serve, place lettuce in a large bowl or serving platter, top with blueberries and strawberries. Drizzle lemon dressing and toss to coat. Top with almonds.
Creamy Lemon Dressing
- Place chopped garlic, lemon zest, sugar and salt in a medium lidded jar.
- Add lemon juice and vinegar. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Add mayonnaise and stir to combine.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil until thick.
- Store refrigerated until ready to serve.
Shop this post
Please note: ONE armed MAMA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and these customized links, provided by Amazon, track the referrals to their website for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.