Easy Stir Fried Rice is a delicious and super adaptable meal that’s the perfect recipe for using up leftover rice.
Great for using up leftovers and whatever veggies you have in the fridge this recipe doesn’t always have to have the same ingredients to be super delicious.
Leftover rice recipe
There are many different leftover rice recipes that deliciously prevent food waste. Meals like sizzling rice soup, rice pudding, arancini (those delicious fried stuffed rice balls), rice salad, sweet and sour cabbage rolls, chicken and rice soup, and you can even make rice cakes. But in my opinion the best way to use up leftover rice is to make Stir Fried Rice at home!
This fried rice recipe isn’t all that traditional to chinese fried rice recipes. Nor is it all that special. But it is easy, delicious and the best way to use up leftover rice and whatever other ingredients you have on hand. Pork, chicken, shrimp, or even spam.
This particular fried rice recipe is a pork and vegetable fried rice with egg. Made with leftover rice and ham it comes together in minutes!
It’s also a great skillet camping recipe! If you bring all the fried rice ingredients chopped and the rice pre cooked it heats quickly in a skillet over the campfire.
- Cooked rice- white rice, basmati rice or brown rice.
- Ham – this vegetable fried rice with ham and eggs is a delicious easy fried rice recipe that’s the perfect fried rice for breakfast. But you can easily substitute chicken, sausage, bacon, spam, or even shrimp for the ham. Or make a special fried rice with a mixture of different ingredients. You can also leave the meat out for a vegetarian recipe vegetable stir fried rice. Or make fried rice without egg and meat for a vegan fried rice recipe.
- Soy sauce
- Other ingredients – kale, mushrooms, broccoli, kimchi, cilantro and basil or whatever vegetables you have in your refrigerator that need to be used.
Stir fried rice is so adaptable! You can easily customize it based on whatever you have available and your personal tastes.
Step by step instructions
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add a drizzle of oil and brown ham.
- Add aromatics – fresh ginger, garlic, and green onions.
- Then add vegetables that take longer to cook than the others, like kale and mushrooms.
- Continue adding the rest of the vegetables – carrots, celery and broccoli.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked through, add the pre cooked leftover rice.
- Stir everything together and push slightly over to the side to expose some of the pan.
- Pour the eggs in the exposed part of the pan and let set for a few seconds before scrambling.
- Once scrambled stir everything together.
- Add soy sauce and toasted sesame oil and stir until coated.
- Finish with sliced scallion greens and fresh herbs, like basil and cilantro or celery greens if you have them. You can also add chopped nuts like almonds or seeds like sesame seeds.
Fried rice is best served immediately after frying but it can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. To reheat simply refry in hot pan or microwave individual portions to heat.
How to make fried rice ahead of time
To make fried rice quickly for camping, hiking, quick lunches, etc. Simply prep all ingredients, chopping vegetables and ham, pre-cook the rice and stir together the soy sauce seasoning ingredients. Store separately until ready to use and this easy fried rice recipe comes together in minutes!
- 4 cups cooked rice or 1 ⅓ cups uncooked
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups ham diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 large celery ribs chopped
- 3 large scallions sliced, greens and whites separated
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Heat oil in large pan over medium high heat.
- Add ham to pan. When browned add scallion greens, garlic and ginger.
- Add additional oil if necessary then add celery and carrots and any other vegetables in order of how long they take to cook. Cook vegetables until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Push the rice mixture to the side of the pan, add more oil if necessary and pour eggs in to the exposed pan. When eggs are scrambled stir everything until combined.
- Add sesame oil and soy sauce and stir until coated.
- Top with scallion greens, and other herbs, almonds and/or sesame seeds (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!
Oh man Tris this was delicious!!! Everyone loved it definitely tastes better than any I have made before and it was so easy too. It made so much I had to switch to a bigger pan, it will be my new go to recipe!!!
Yay! I'm so glad you liked it!!