At Home Frozen Yogurt Bar a great breakfast or brunch party idea with homemade frozen yogurt recipe and lots of yogurt bar toppings!
Placed in a the frozen bowl of an ice cream churner, it takes only minutes to transform Greek yogurt into luscious, creamy frozen yogurt – without any additional ingredients!
Self serve food bar idea
Kick off the summer season with good friends and icy treats in the comfort of your own home with this fun and delicious self serve food bar party idea!
With nature as the backdrop, minimal decorations, a self serve food station and easy to make at home frozen yogurt.
This post has been sponsored Dannon®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Is frozen yogurt just frozen yogurt?
Frozen yogurt, also called fro-yo, is simply just a version of ice cream made from a base of yogurt rather than cream. If you use a delicious sweetened flavored yogurt, like Dannon, you can simply churn the greek yogurt in an ice cream maker and enjoy it as is! Or you can use plain yogurt and add sweetener and other flavors.
- Yogurt – Since fat and protein enhance the creamy texture of homemade frozen yogurt greek yogurt is best in frozen yogurt recipes. Greek yogurt is also thicker to begin with. You can substitute regular full fat yogurt and add a bit of sweetener and flavor like fresh fruit puree. The more sugar you add the softer and smoother the yogurt will be because the sugar molecules get in the way of growing ice crystals.
- Frozen yogurt toppings
Frozen yogurt toppings ideas
- Fresh fruit – sliced strawberries, whole raspberries, whole blueberries, diced mango, etc.
- Dried fruit – chopped figs, cranberries, apricots, luxardo maraschino cherries, etc
- Nuts and seeds – toasted coconut, whole almonds, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pistachios
- Sweets – chopped candy bars and little candy coated chocolate pieces, raw chocolate chip cookie dough pieces, gummy worms, chocolate chips
- Sauces – chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, peanut butter syrup, fresh fruit purees, even olive oil and reduced balsamic vinegar are delicious!
- Extras – whipped cream, sprinkles, chopped pretzel pieces, etc
Step by step instructions
- Make homemade frozen yogurt. To give multiple options and let guests mix it up, like a frozen yogurt shop make different flavors of frozen yogurt to give guests multiple options and chances to mix it up just like your local frozen yogurt shop at home! Ensure all ingredients and utensils are as cold as possible before churning. Keep the churner bowl in the coldest part of your freezer and adequately chill the yogurt. Once the pieces are all chilled it takes only minutes to transform Greek yogurt into luscious, creamy frozen yogurt.
- Prepare fro yo toppings.
- Set the scene with decorations and serving supplies. Include a tray of toppings with serving spoons and scoops. To reduce waste you can even wash out your individual yogurt cups to reuse as serving cups.
- Place frozen yogurt containers in a large tray of ice to stay cold while serving.
- Once guests arrive all you have to do is turn on music and enjoy the company. It’s fun to try new combinations and see what everyone else comes up with. And the self serve food bar buffet is usually activity enough for most brunches and parties.
For more activity ideas check out the ideas and decorations in this Ice Cream Float Party
Can you make frozen yogurt ahead of time?
For softest, creamiest texture enjoy homemade frozen yogurt immediately after churning.
Or immediately transfer churned frozen yogurt to shallow freezer safe containers and freeze to set for several hours up to a month.
Because frozen yogurt is so thick and creamy and dense for best results allow to defrost on the counter for several minutes before scooping and serving.
- 3 cups Greek yogurt sweetened and flavored, or unflavored
- assorted mix ins and toppings optional
- Chill ice cream maker insert until fully frozen, at least 24 hours in advance. Also chill any attachments and the shallow freezer container the yogurt will be stored in.
- Following ice cream maker instructions, churn Greek yogurt until smooth and the consistency of soft serve.
- Immediately transfer to chilled freezer containers using shallow containers to speed up freezer time.
Shop this post
Please note: ONE armed MAMA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and these customized links, provided by Amazon, track the referrals to their website for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.
Pin for later!
It works quite well for me
Thanks for the wonderful article
I enjoy the article