Creamy Coconut Hibiscus Rum Cooler is a delicious rum cocktail recipe made with sweet hibiscus flower tea and coconut milk.
A light, refreshing summer cocktail that can be easily made into a hibiscus mocktail.
Rum cooler recipe
A rum cooler refers to a sweet, fruit heavy iced rum cocktail recipe often made with a sugar, ginger ale, white rum and citrus peels. This version subs iced hibiscus tea and lime juice for the tart fruitiness of citrus peel. And spiced rum instead of white rum for the warm spiciness of ginger ale. Combined with creamy coconut milk this Coconut Hibiscus Rum Cooler this is the perfect summer cocktail!
- Coconut milk – the most full fat coconut milk you can find is typically in a can. You can also substitute cream of coconut for a sweeter rum cooler cocktail, but make sure to omit the added simple syrup sweetener as the cream of coconut will be plenty sweet as is.
- Simple syrup – to sweeten the coconut milk layer. Or substitute honey to make a hibiscus and honey cream cocktail.
- Lime juice – fresh squeezed lime juice adds an acidity that is a great compliment to the sweet coconut mixture and pairs well with the tangy hibiscus tea.
- Rum – you can make rum cocktails with either dark rum or white rum. Or a blend of both like you would in a classic rum punch. A spiced dark rum, like Captain Morgans or the Kraken or both delicious in tropical rum cocktail. If substituting only white rum, add a little cinnamon or nutmeg, or both either in the coconut milk or as a garnish on top. To turn this drink into a hibiscus mocktail simply omit the rum.
- Hibiscus tea – a beautiful pink sweet “tea” (actually a tisane) made from hibiscus flowers, sugar and water. This tea not only delicious and beautiful but also so good for you! It’s rich in vitamin C and amino acids and other powerful antioxidants that make for a long list of hibiscus tea benefits. Make your own hibiscus tea with dried hibiscus. Or purchase a hibiscus tea blend like Red Zinger or Tazo Passion Tea.
Step by step instructions
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, simple syrup and spiced rum to shaker.
- Give it a good shake.
- Once it’s all frothy remove shaker lid and pour into a tall glass to fill ½ to ¾ full. Hold back ice as needed to ensure there’s a little room at the top.
- Top with a pour of sweet hibiscus tea, pouring over a large spoon to help maintain the layered effect. If the tea is immediately dropping to the bottom of your glass rather than maintaining swirling layers try using a glass packed full of crushed ice for best results. Also, it’s possible that the coconut milk you’re using is a lower fat coconut milk and therefore slightly thinner than regular coconut milk.
- Garnish as desired and serve layered or stirred.
How to garnish
Creamy Coconut Hibiscus Rum Coolers can be garnished with citrus wedges or wheels, fresh or dried hibiscus flowers or in a glass with a coconut rim.
To turn this rum cocktail recipe into a summer pitcher cocktail simply combine tea with lime juice and rum. If the coconut milk is combined with lime juice or hibiscus tea ahead of time the coconut milk will begin to look solidified and separated due to the reaction of the proteins with the acidity. To prevent this either omit the coconut milk, substitute coconut cream for coconut milk or top with a pour of coconut milk after serving.
- 3 ounces full fat coconut milk
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- ½ ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce dark spiced rum or more depending on personal taste
- 2 ounces hibiscus sweet tea
- Add all ingredients except sweet tea to a shaker filled with crushed ice.
- Shake until frothy then pour into tall glass leaving a little room on the top.
- Pour hibiscus tea over a large spoon to maintain layers and pour enough to fill the glass.