Watermelon Caprese Grilled Cheese each ingredient adds a little something different in terms of flavor and texture and every bite leaves you wondering what the next has in store.
Cool crisp watermelon and creamy fresh mozzarella sandwiched between layers of crusty garlic loaf and piquant basil. Just a touch of honey and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar round out the flavors perfectly. And before you know it, you’ll be licking your fingers, wiping the crumbs and heating up the pan for seconds.
A Fresh Take on a Classic
Caprese salad is such a classic and perfect mix of ingredients that using it as inspiration for new dishes can hardly ever go wrong. I mean, with fresh mozzarella, basil and balsamic vinegar you can add anything and it will be delicious. Whether it’s the typical caprese salad or pizza, pasta salad, skewer bites, sandwiches, bruschetta or any of the other caprese options, the unmistakable combination can’t be beat! In this sandwich version the typical tomato is subbed out for equally cool and flavorful watermelon and a drizzle of honey is added to enhance the watermelon’s lightly sweet, floral flavor.
- 4 slices crusty french bread cut ½″ thick
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese cut into ¼″ thick slices
- 4 ounces fresh seedless watermelon cut into ¼″ thick slices
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Smash garlic clove and rub over both sides of each piece of french bread. Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan. When sizzling quickly add the first two pieces of garlic rubbed bread.
- Immediately layer equal parts of mozzarella cheese, watermelon and basil on each of the two pieces of bread. Top with another piece of mozzarella and the final piece of bread.
- Add additional 1 tablespoon butter and carefully flip sandwiches over. When both sides are golden remove and drizzle with honey and balsamic before serving.
- OPTIONAL: for more melty mozzarella or to easily serve a crowd preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and place toasted sandwiches on a baking sheet in the oven until the cheese is melted. Then, finish with honey and balsamic and serve.