Peanut Butter Banana Elvis S’mores are a delicious gourmet mashup of The King’s favorite sandwich and the king of campfire desserts.
Everyone’s favorite toasted marshmallow recipe gets an upgrade with toasted banana bread, a smear of peanut butter and caramel filled chocolate squares.
My family and I love smores but we also universally LOVE competitions. So usually if we’re toasting marshmallows and making smores we’re also competing on who can create the best smores recipe. It’s not just smores night around our house, it’s a family backyard s’mores off!
For your own backyard s’mores off all you need is a smores kit, a fire pit and a willing opponent or two.
For my entry in last night’s competition I was dreaming of Elvis-inspired smores. Rumor has it that a simple peanut butter and banana sandwich was Elvis Presley’s favorite. And the same flavor pairing of with caramelized banana rounds, melty peanut butter and delicious gooey Ghiradelli Caramel Sea Salt Dark Chocolate sounded amazing. But since the last of the bananas had just been thrown in a loaf of fresh banana bread I used grilled banana bread squares as a stand in. And, let me tell you, the King and I might be on to something here!
The crisp toasted bread with soft pillowy interior is the perfect accompaniment to all that gooey goodness 👌👌👌 thank you, thank you very much.
To throw together s’mores kit rummage through your cabinets to find different cookies, crackers, spreads, chocolates, fruits, and candies that can be the makings of a delicious toasted confection. Then set them all out on a tray with marshmallows, s’mores sticks and lots of napkins 🙂
How to make smores without a campfire or open flame?
This is a great recipe to make s’mores while camping. But if you’re not camping and don’t feel like having a backyard fire pit you can toast marshmallows over the open flame of a gas stove top or a handheld kitchen torch, if you have either.
Or make s’mores in the oven. Simply assemble with the banana bread squares separate and toast under a hot broiler. Or as an absolute last resort, assemble and pop in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Caramel filled chocolate squares – or substitute traditional hershey’s chocolate and kraft caramel squares.
- Graham crackers – honey, cinnamon or chocolate grahams.
- Marshmallows – for extra gooey s’mores toast 2 large marshmallows over indirect flame until evenly puffed and toasted brown.
- Peanut butter – or the nut butter of your choice.
- Banana bread – cut into squares of even thickness. No banana bread? Use another graham cracker and fresh or toasted banana slices instead!
Other suggestions for an Elvis-inspired s’mores kit
- fresh or caramelized banana
- peanut butter cups
- chocolate hazelnut spread
- crispy bacon
- coconut flakes
- vanilla bean or dulce de leche ice cream for serving
Step by step instructions
- Toast graham square and banana bread.
- Top graham with a smear of peanut butter and 1 caramel filled chocolate square. Leave to melt over warm flame while toasting a few large marshmallows.
- Sandwich toasted marshmallowa between caramel filled chocolate square and toasted banana bread.
- Enjoy one or some more!
- 1 square graham crackers
- 1 square banana bread
- 1 square caramel filled chocolate
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 2 large marshmallows
- Prepare a small fire and let burn down until it is even and glowing without too many flames.
- Place a grate over the fire, or place a food-safe stone near the fire to warm. Once warm, toast 1 graham square and 1 banana bread square.1 square graham crackers, 1 square banana bread
- Top graham with a smear of peanut butter and place a caramel filled chocolate square on top. Leave to melt over warm flame while toasting the marshmallows.1 square caramel filled chocolate, 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- On a long roasting stick place two large marshmallows and toast until evenly puffed and golden brown.2 large marshmallows
- Place toasted marshmallows between caramel filled chocolate square and top with toasted banana bread. Sandwich together and pull out the roasting stick. Enjoy!