Chewy Coconut Cookies are a simple soft coconut cookie recipe that are perfect for holidays like Christmas and Easter, or anytime of year!
They have flaked coconut to thank for it’s light toasty coconut flavor. With a generous amount pulsed into the batter and then more rolled onto the outside it’s packed full of tropical nutty flavor!
Coconut cookie recipes
There are many types of coconut cookies made from different coconut cookie recipes.
And chocolate coconut cookies like those old fashioned no bake chocolate coconut cookies from the 70s made with a mix of cocoa powder, coconut, and oats.
Or coconut macaroons made with whipped meringue or eggless 2 ingredient coconut cookies made from condensed milk and coconut.
But these are different.
THESE coconut cookies are chewy and buttery and light AND full of coconut flavor all at once.
And although I have to admit that I love all coconut recipes this soft and chewy coconut cookie recipe is my favorite coconut recipe of all time.
And their cute little round shape look like coconut snowball cookies. Or even little bunny tails making them the perfect cookies for Christmas or Easter.
Chewy butter cookie recipe
This cookie recipe, like most my favorite recipes, was ripped out of an old magazine to be placed in my recipe binder. After years of baking them with tweaks here and there I’ve created my own unique cookie recipe based on the original. This one is based on a Martha Stewart recipe from an old Everyday Food magazine that’s rightfully earned it’s spot front and center in the ‘rolled cookies’ section of my messy and well used recipe binder.
It’s a simple coconut cookie recipe with basic ingredients like butter, sugar, vanilla, eggs and a mixture of all-purpose flour and coconut flour made from pulsing shredded coconut in a food processor (or blender).
And although the ingredients are simple these cookies pack a lot of coconut flavor!
And I’m sure that like me, once you make them once, you’ll be hooked for years.
- Sweetened shredded coconut – for pulsing into a coconut flour for the batter and also as a toasted coconut coating on the outside.
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
Step by step instructions
- Pulse coconut, sugar, salt and baking powder, butter, whole egg, egg yolk, vanilla and flour in a food processor or high powered blender.
- Place egg white in a shallow bowl or plate and stir with a fork or small whisk just to break up. Place remaining shredded coconut in another similar container. Using a tablespoon scoop dough and shape into balls.
- Dip in egg white then roll in shredded coconut to coat. The shredded coconut coating browns slightly while baking giving the cookies a toasted coconut flavor and a little color. For less toasty flavor and color press the coconut into the cookie balls evenly before baking.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven until browned but still soft to the touch, 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer coconut cookies to wire rack to cool for several minutes.
How to store
Store chewy coconut cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How to make ahead
Chewy Coconut Cookies can be frozen before or after baking. For best flavor and texture freezing before baking is recommended.
To freeze coconut cookie dough place on cookie sheet after rolling in shredded coconut (no need to leave space). Then place sheets in the freezer until cookie dough is frozen solid. Once frozen transfer cookie dough balls to freezer bags or vacuum seal. And store frozen for up to 6 months.
When ready to cook preheat oven and bake as directed from frozen, adding an additional 3-5 minutes to the baking time.
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut loosely packed, divided in half
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 cube, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs divided, whole and white and yolk separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place half the shredded coconut in food processor with sugar, salt and baking powder. Process mixture until finely ground.
- Add chilled butter pieces and process just until no lumps remain.
- Add vanilla, the whole egg and egg yolk, reserving the egg white for the coating later. Process mixture just until it becomes smooth.
- Add flour and pulse until a crumbly dough begins to form, being careful not to overmix.
- Place reserved egg white in shallow bowl or on a plate and use a fork or small whisk to stir smooth. Place remaining 2 cups shredded coconut in another similar container. Scoop dough using a tablespoon and shape into balls. Dip coconut cookie dough balls in egg white. Then roll in shredded coconut to coat.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until starting to brown but still soft to the touch, about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.