Purple Hibiscus Rum Punch cocktails are light, fizzy, refreshing and beautiful!
A creamy rum cocktail made with tart hibiscus tea for a vibrantly colored and flavored hibiscus drink that’s perfect for summer.
Rum punch is a cocktail with a recipe and ingredients that vary depending on the region. There’s varying recipes from Jamaica, Grenada, Hawaii, Barbados, Antigua and more.
The ingredients may vary but the ratio usually stays the same according to the rum punch song or poem. The saying goes, “one of sour, two of sweet, three of strong and four of week, a dash of bitters and a sprinkle of spice, serve well chilled with plenty of ice.”
Rum punch typically contains orange juice, rum, grenadine and lime. But the ingredients in this recipe are lime juice for the sour, pineapple juice and coconut milk for the sweet, spiced rum for the strong and sweet hibiscus tea for the weak.
The beautiful naturally colored hibiscus tea gives this rum punch recipe a delicious tart flavor and a beautiful light purple color that’s perfect for brunch, bridal showers, weddings and more!
- 1 Sour- One measure of lime juice
- 2 Sweet – 1 measure coconut milk, 1 measure pineapple juice
- 3 Strong- Three measures of dark spiced rum. This rum punch is not strong but you can add additional dark rum and even add an equal amount of white rum like Bacardi to make a stronger rum punch cocktail.
- 4 Weak – Sweet Hibiscus Tea
- Optional – garnish with grated nutmeg, a lime wheel, pineapple wedge or fresh or dried hibiscus flowers.
This recipe is made without orange juice but you can easily substitute orange juice for the pineapple to make a rum punch without pineapple. For a sweeter cocktail substitute cream de coconut for the coconut milk.
Step by step instructions
- Brew Hibiscus Sweet Tea and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add hibiscus tea, lime juice, spiced rum, and pineapple juice.
- Shake until fully combined and frothy.
- Add coconut milk.
- Again shake vigorously until coconut milk is fully combined and creamy.
- Pour all ingredients, including ice, into a glass.
- Optionally garnish with nutmeg, a lime wheel, pineapple wedge, or fresh or dried hibiscus flowers.
- Serve immediately.
Coconut milk natural solidifies and separates. To reduce coconut milk solidifying you use the fullest fat coconut milk you can find. And shake all ingredients together well before adding the coconut milk and shaking vigorously. You can also make a blended coconut hibiscus rum cocktail by blending all ingredients with ice until smooth.
For a crowd
To make a rum punch gallon recipe for a crowd simply use the same ratio and increase the measurement. For example 1 cup lime juice + 1 cup coconut milk + 1 cup pineapple juice + 3 cups spiced rum + 4 cups hibiscus tea. If preparing ahead of time, combine all ingredients except ice and coconut milk, then vigorously stir in coconut milk and ice immediately before serving.
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce coconut milk 1 ounce pineapple juice
- 3 ounces dark spiced rum
- 4 ounces hibiscus sweet tea
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add hibiscus tea, lime juice, spiced rum, and pineapple juice. Shake until fully combined and frothy.
- Add coconut milk and vigorously shake until coconut milk is fully combined and creamy.
- Pour all ingredients, including ice, into a glass and garnish with nutmeg, a lime wheel, pineapple wedge, or fresh or dried hibiscus flowers.
- Serve immediately.