Sumac Herb Marinated Red Onions get a hefty dose of fresh herbs and sumac for bright citrus flavor with an herby bite.
Keep a batch of this delicious homemade condiment in your fridge to add flavor and zest to meals all week long!
Inspired by two different food bloggers who help to introduce me to the online food world, this versatile condiment is a flavorful must have.
Teri, of No Crumb’s Left’s LIFE-CHANGING marinated red onions recipe is so popular it has a cult-like following on Instagram. IG is where I first connected with Teri. Although it was her entrée salads that caught my attention back in 2016, her captivating ig stories kept me coming back for more. Like a conversation, Teri would always respond to my questions and comments like a trustworthy friend.
Sam of Little Ferraro Kitchen’s homemade za’atar spice recipe shared in her cookbook The Weeknight Mediterranean Kitchen: 80 Authentic, Healthy Recipes Made Quick and Easy for Everyday Cooking, was my first introduction to this amazing tart flavorful spice. And Sam was my first ig food blogger friend turned real-life food blogger friend. When the industry takes a turn, we turn to each other to bounce ideas and practice new skills. Whether it’s Instagram live or recipe videos, learning something new is always better with someone like Sam by your side.
These two women were just one of the reasons why I fell in love with Instagram so much. Aside from the focus on photography Instagram is a place where we can ask questions and get quick, personalized responses. A place where I could get to know others with similar interests and they could get to know me too. A place where, no matter how similar or different, we can connect and grow, together.
- Red onions – white onions, yellow, sweet, shallots or even green garlic. Whatever member of the allium family you happen to have on hand will do. Thinly slice beautiful rounds from a whole onion. Or make this recipe with whatever random chopped onion you have remaining after using half in a recipe. This versatile recipe will be delicious regardless.
- Sumac – a bright spice in flavor and color that adds a citrus flavor and red color to dishes. Sumac is also an essential component in za’atar spice. Use 1 tablespoon fresh sumac pods, or 1 teaspoon dried sumac.
- Thyme – 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves with the woody stems removed. Or substitute 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Oregano – 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves or ½ teaspoon dried. Or substitute marjoram for all or part of the oregano.
- Za’atar spice – a delicious Mediterranean spice blend of sumac, thyme, oregano, sesame seeds and salt. Find za’atar in the spice aisle of your favorite grocer. Or, substitute salt, sesame seeds and additional dried thyme, sumac and oregano.
- Vinegar – red wine, apple cider or whatever vinegar you have on hand.
- Oil – ½ cup olive oil is all you need to bath the onion sliced in flavorful marinade.
Teri’s marinated onions are shelf stable for a few days because the onions are fully submerged in olive oil. My version uses a lot less oil but must be refrigerated and consumed within 7 days.
What to do with marinated onions
Bold sauces and garnishes full of fresh herbs, aromatics and citrus like toum, chimichurri, pickled and marinated onions add flavor and nutrients to any meal! Try them on tacos, salads, burgers, wraps, sandwiches, hot dogs, or as a topping to any grilled or smoked meat.
- 1 large red onion sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh sumac or 1 teaspoon dried sumac
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon za'atar
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- In a small bowl combine vinegar and spices then stir in olive oil.
- Slice onions and place in airtight storage container, or serving container if using immediately.
- Pour marinade over onions, gently toss to coat and store refrigerated until ready to use, up to 7 days.
Shop this post
Please note: ONE armed MAMA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and these customized links, provided by Amazon, track the referrals to their website for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.