Snowball-like Chewy Coconut Cookies perfect for the holidays or anytime of year!
Similar to coconut macaroons these snowball-reminiscent cookies are actually chewy butter cookies with loads of coconut flavor from the pulsed coconut batter and the toasted coconut coating.
Not Your Typical Coconut Cookie
Usually when people come looking for coconut cookies they’re thinking about thin and crispy coconut cookies or coconut macaroons made with whipped meringue or sweetened condensed milk. But these are different. THESE coconut cookies are chewy and buttery and light AND full of coconut flavor all at once.
If you’re looking for thin and crispy cookies check out my Trail Mix Cookies with oatmeal and peanut butter that are so good with coconut mixed in.
I also happen to have a fabulous gluten-free 2 Ingredient Coconut Macaroon recipe if you happen to be in that camp 😉
How to Make Chewy Coconut Cookies
This cookie recipe, like most my favorite recipes, was ripped out of an old magazine to be placed in my recipe binder. After years of baking them with tweaks here and there I’ve created my own unique cookie recipe based on the original. This one is based on a Martha Stewart recipe from an old Everyday Food magazine that’s rightfully earned it’s spot front and center in the ‘rolled cookies’ section of my messy and well used recipe binder.
They have flaked coconut to thank for it’s light toasty coconut flavor. With a generous amount pulsed into the batter and then more rolled onto the outside it’s packed full of tropical nutty flavor!
And I’m sure that like me, once you make them once, you’ll be hooked for years.
Don’t have a food processor? Use a blender to chop the coconut. Or make the batter without the flaked coconut and after it comes together stir in the coconut flakes.
To freeze place dough on cookie sheets as directed (no need to leave space) then pop in the freezer instead of oven. Transfer to freezer bags or vacuum seal once frozen and freeze up to 6 months. When ready to cook preheat oven and bake as directed adding additional 3-5 minutes to baking time.
Chewy Coconut Cookies Recipe
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut loosely packed, divided in half
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 cube, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs 1 whole, 1 with white and yolk separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place 2 cups shredded coconut in a food processor with sugar, salt and baking powder. Process until finely ground. Add butter and process just until no lumps remain. Add 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk and vanilla. Process just until smooth. Add flour and pulse until a crumbly dough begins to form, being careful not to overmix.
- Lightly whip the remaining egg white and place in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Place remaining 2 cups shredded coconut in another similar container. Scoop dough using a tablespoon and shape into balls. Place in egg white then roll in shredded coconut to coat.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until starting to brown but still soft to the touch, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Pin for later!