Triple Chocolate Ganache Drip Cake with chocolate ganache icing is a chocolate lover’s dream!
A perfectly simple chocolate ganache cake recipe that tastes like you’ve been in the kitchen all day making it completely from scratch but takes only minutes to whip up!
Triple chocolate cake
This triple chocolate cake recipe is really just a fancied up cake mix cake made with devil’s food pudding cake filled with chocolate chunks with a chocolate ganache drip icing.
A super easy to make chocolate drip cake that tastes like it took all day to bake but it’s really just a gussied up boxed cake mix cake!
- Chocolate cake mix
- Instant chocolate pudding
- Chocolate chips
- Sour cream
- Canola oil
- Chocolate ganache – as a chocolate drip icing for the cake or to use to glaze cupcakes
Step by step instructions
- To make chocolate ganache cake start by preheating oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Crack eggs into mixing bowl and combine with water, oil and sour cream. Then add the cake mix and pudding mix and stir chocolate cake batter until smooth. Mixture will be thick.
- Stir in chocolate chips and stir by hand, making sure to thoroughly mixing the triple chocolate cake batter.
- Grease a nonstick bundt pan with butter and add a little bit of either leftover chocolate cake mix or use a little flour or cocoa powder.
- Pour the mix into prepared bundt pan.
- And bake 45-50 minutes.
- Then remove triple chocolate cake to rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare a chocolate ganache for icing the cake. To make a chocolate ganache for cake covering combine 1 part warm cream with 2 parts chocolate and allow to sit until soft. Then whisk smooth.
- When triple chocolate cake is cool place wire rack over a parchment or paper lined baking sheet and remove cake from bundt pan and place on wire rack that will catch the chocolate glaze that drips over the edge of the cake.
- While ganache is still slightly warm pour the glaze over the triple chocolate cake from the top, pouring in a circular motion.
- Allow chocolate ganache drip to set then slice and serve.
How to make without a bundt pan
You can make this triple chocolate cake in any cake pan! Bake in a 9×13 baking dish or two 9″ round cake pans for only 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Or you can even make triple chocolate cupcakes! Or these Double Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Chocolate ganache cupcakes
To make chocolate ganache cupcakes instead of triple chocolate ganache drip cake fill 24 lined cupcakes ¾ full using a large scoop. Bake triple chocolate ganache cupcakes for 18 minutes at 350 degrees F. Then once cool dip cupcakes in chocolate ganache.
How to store
Store chocolate ganache cake at room temperature. This triple chocolate cake recipe does not need to be refrigerated. And will last up to three days when stored uncovered at room temperature.
- 16.5 ounce box devils food cake mix (or any chocolate cake mix)
- 3.4 ounce instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a bundt pan and lightly dust with flour.
- Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips using an electric mixer. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove to rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, warm cream over low heat on the stovetop and pour over chocolate chips in a small heat proof bowl. Allow to sit for several minutes until chocolate softens. Then whisk until smooth.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and place a wire rack over the baking sheet. Once cool, remove cake from bundt pan and place on wire rack. Pour chocolate ganache over the cake in a circular motion so that the icing drips over the edge.
- Allow cake to cool until chocolate sets then slice and serve.