Mango Avocado Quinoa Salad mixes juicy mango and creamy avocado with a bright lemon dressing and loads of fresh herbs. It’s a delicious fresh way to use up leftover quinoa!
Quinoa salad recipe
Made using my favorite perfect stovetop method for cooking fluffy and light quinoa every time and fresh seasonal vegetables. Plus whatever else you want to throw in!
This quinoa salad without any meat or cheese to worry about is perfect for picnics and potlucks. Or for packing up for camping or road trips. It’s flavorful, super easy to mix up and stays fresh for a long time.
You can make quinoa and serve it warm one night then turn the leftovers into this. I love a good recipe that does double duty turning tonight’s dinner into tomorrow’s lunch!
- Perfect stovetop quinoa – made with chicken stock, garlic and onion this basic quinoa method is a great recipe to have up your sleeve. It’s best to use leftover quinoa that’s already cooled but in a pinch you can quick cool quinoa by spreading on a baking sheet and refrigerating. Fluff with a fork and use.
- Fruit + vegetables – this version combines combines sweet champagne mangoes and creamy but firm avocados. But the options are endless when it comes to choosing fruit and vegetable combinations.
- Crunchy – roasted pumpkin seeds add flavor, crunch and a bit of extra nutrients. Substitute or add any mix of nuts, seeds and/or toasted grains.
- Flavor – from fresh herbs, citrus and spices and aromatics like garlic and onions. Fresh cilantro, basil, chile powder, chives, chive blossoms and red onion are a great contrast to sweet mango, luscious avocado and bright lemon dressing. But any mix of herbs, spices, citrus and aromatics may be substituted.
- Dressing – my favorite homemade Creamy Lemon Dressing adds just the right amount of acid and extra flavor but any homemade or purchased dressing may be substituted.
- Add a protein like chicken or black beans for extra protein
- Get extra greens by tossing in arugula or spinach.
- Add crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Mix up the fruit and vegetables like this Blueberry Quinoa Salad
- Mix it up with whatever dressing or sauce you have! Green chimichurri, creamy cilantro lime sauce or good quality store bought dressings are all great options!
Step by step instructions
- Make perfect quinoa then cool quinoa overnight or flash cool by spreading in a single layer on a baking sheet and popping in the refrigerator.
- Make lemon dressing.
- Prep whichever fruits and vegetables you’d like to use, like fresh mango and avocado.
- Toss all ingredients together.
How to store
Store dressing, mango and avocado, and quinoa separately, store refrigerated and everything will stay fresh for up to 5 days. Because this salad remains fresh at room temperature for an extended period of time it’s perfect for potlucks, picnics, lunches, road trips, etc!
- 3 cups cooked quinoa or 1 ½ cup uncooked + 3 ¾ cup stock
- 1 large mango or 2 small, peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado peeled and diced
- ½ cup creamy lemon dressing
- 1 medium red onion peeled and diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- ¼ cup salted and shelled pumpkin seeds or chopped almonds
- ¼ cup chives and chive blossoms (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- spicy chile flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups quinoa
- 3 ¾ cups chicken stock
Creamy Lemon Dressing
- 1 small lemon zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Make Perfect Quinoa – on a large saucepan over medium heat add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add onion and garlic then quinoa. Turn to coat and cook until toasted. Add stock and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and reduce to low. Simmer for 25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and add lid. Let stand five minutes before fluffing with fork. To quick cool, add to a shallow baking sheet in a single layer and chill until ready to use.2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ medium onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 ½ cups quinoa, 3 ¾ cups chicken stock
- Make Creamy Lemon Dressing. Whisk lemon zest and lemon juice with sugar, vinegar and mayo. Slowly whisk in olive oil until thick.1 small lemon, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, ¼ teaspoon white vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pour dressing red onions, mango and avocado and gently toss to coat.1 large mango, 1 large avocado, ½ cup creamy lemon dressing, 1 medium red onion
- Toss cooked quinoa with cilantro and basil and the onion/mango/avocado mix in a large bowl or layer on a platter. Top with pumpkin seeds, more fresh herbs and sprinkle with sea salt and a dusting of spicy chile flakes.3 cups cooked quinoa, ½ cup fresh cilantro, ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, ¼ cup salted and shelled pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup chives and chive blossoms, sea salt, spicy chile flakes