Perfectly sweet and lightly tart this Blueberry Lemon Crisp with Almond Crumb Topping is a quick wholesome dessert that makes the most of berry season!
Freshly picked blueberries with lemon, oats, almonds and coconut make for a quick gluten free dessert that’s wholesome enough, you can even call it breakfast…. if it hangs around long enough!
Gluten free blueberry dessert
Blueberry season in the northwest runs strong for a few weeks in August to September typically.
Luckily I have an abundance of blueberries thanks to three mature blueberry bushes on my property.
So recently when I had a gluten free friend stop by for an impromptu dinner I was able to whip up something so delicious that all guests were delighted with it!
Blueberry Lemon Crisp with Almond Crumb Topping. A blueberry season dessert that will please everyone – adult or child, gluten free or gluten friendly!
A quick mix of blueberries and lemon topped with a hodge podge of all the delicious things stocked in the pantry makes a quick but super tasty dessert.
- Blueberries – fresh or frozen. To substitute frozen berries for fresh berries defrost and drain berries before using. Or simply use frozen and double the cornstarch while increasing the cooking time by 15-20 minutes.
- Flaked Coconut
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Zest and juice lemon and prepare a 9×9 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, gently toss berries, lemon, sugar and cornstarch until berries are coated.
- In a medium bowl, work oats, almonds, butter and brown sugar together with your fingertips until the butter is evenly distributed.
- Pour filling into baking dish and evenly scatter almond crumb topping to cover. Dot with butter and bake uncovered until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes.
How to serve
Serve berry crisp ala mode – or with a scoop of ice cream. Vanilla, caramel, coconut, and cinnamon are all delicious flavors to pair with Blueberry Lemon Crisp.
Or try some for breakfast with a scoop of marscapone cheese or greek yogurt.
Summer berry desserts
With so many delicious things made with fresh berries, it’s no wonder that summer is my favorite food season.
Pies, tarts, crisps, crumbles and more like Blackberry Mojito Cobbler, Blackberry Infused Earl Grey Tea, Strawberry White Wine Spritzer, Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberry Almond Milk Ice Cream, Raspberry Kale Salad, and Red White and Blue tarts and salad.
Lemon Blueberry Filling
- 4 cups blueberries washed and dried
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Almond Crumb Topping
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup roasted almonds chopped
- ¼ cup +2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup unsweetend flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Zest and juice lemon. and prepare a 9×9 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, gently toss filling ingredients until berries are coated.
- In a medium bowl, work topping ingredients together with your fingertips until the butter is evenly distributed making for a crumbly dough that stays together when squeezed.
- Pour filling into baking dish and evenly scatter almond crumb topping to cover. Dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and bake uncovered until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes. Serve over icecream or topped with yogurt.