Bruleed Pineapple Coconut Pancakes are fresh and fruity with a little bit of toasted coconut goodness and a crispy caramelized sugar topping. A great twist on everyone’s favorite classic breakfast!
Topped with whipped cream and served with fresh fruit they’re special enough to be served at a festive brunch or alongside ham at Easter. But easy enough for Wednesday morning breakfast before school.
My very first blog post was Fancy Pancakes showcasing my recipe for classic fluffy pancakes, the ones that have been gracing my breakfast table at least a few times a week for the past 15 years.
On this post I also included ideas for ‘fancy pancakes’. You know, all the fun things that mom throws in hers to make eating pancakes five days a week bearable ?. Don’t get me wrong classic fluffy pancakes are amazing but sometimes I find myself dreaming of fun pancake ideas beyond just chocolate chips and blueberries (although, both are big yum in my book!).
Picky eaters at home that prefer them plain? No problem! Simply make a big batch of pancake batter and cook the plain ones first. Then mix in the fun stuff and cook the rest fancy.
How to make Bruleed Pineapple Coconut Pancakes
Made with the same ingredients for pina colada these flavored pancakes are a twist on the best Fluffy Pancake recipe. With fresh pineapple pieces in the batter and a crispy caramelized sugar and coconut topping it’s like enjoying a fancy tropical brunch, at home
- Fresh Pineapple diced small are like juicy little jewels inside the pancakes. Substituted canned pineapple if you have it, draining well and dicing small.
- Unsweetened Flaked Coconut has the best texture and allow for the sweetness to be adjusted to taste. To substitute sweetened shredded coconut simply omit the sprinkled sugar as the coconut will caramelize on it’s own.
- the usual players… butter, oil, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
Step by Step Instructions
- Heat a heavy skillet to medium then reduce to medium low and keep warm while preparing batter.
- Whisk eggs, milk, oil and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk into wet ingredients.
- Stir in pineapple pieces.
- Pour ¼ cup batter into the center of preheated skillet.
- When bubbles begin to form on edges sprinkle with a hefty amount of flaked coconut and sprinkle evenly with a sugar.
- Carefully flip pancake when bubbles pop through the coconut in the center. Continue cooking until coconut is toasted and pancake is cooked through.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream, fresh pineapple, powdered sugar and/or cream of coconut for drizzling.
Make coconut pancakes with no milk and with even more coconut flavor! Substitute coconut oil and coconut milk for a dairy-free, refined oil-free, coconut-full version!
Can pancakes be frozen?
Plain fluffy pancakes can be frozen in a single layer on a baking sheet. And they reheat quickly in the toaster. But fancy pancake recipes like these with the delicious addition of bruleed sugar and flaky coconut on top should be eaten immediately. If you must keep, tightly cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours then reheat in a low, 300 degree, convection or toaster oven.
Bruleed Pineapple Coconut Pancakes Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar + more for sprinkling
- ¼ cup canola oil or coconut oil or butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup pineapple diced
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat skillet to medium low.
- Beat egg, add milk, sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. Stir in diced pineapple.
- Pour slightly less than ¼ cup batter onto skillet. Cook until bubbly on top, puffed and dry around edges. Top with a generous pile of coconut and sprinkle with sugar, turn and cook until coconut is toasted and pancake is golden brown.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream, powdered sugar, fresh pineapple and cream of coconut syrup.
Shop this post
please note: ONE armed MAMA is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and these customized links, provided by Amazon, track the referrals to their website for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.
Best SEO Company
Awesome post! Keep up the great work! 🙂