Quick Pickled Red Onions are an essential easy to make condiment that adds bright flavor and a subtle spiciness to salads, sandwiches, burgers, tacos and everything in between.
Made in minutes with only a few common ingredients it’s easy to always have a jar in the fridge to make any meal pop!
Beautiful DIY condiment
With delicious flavor and a gorgeous jewel tone bright pink color this is an essential condiment that’s easy to make yourself!
The sweet sour flavor is a perfect accompanienment to rich meals like burgers, tacos and barbecue. But also goes well with egg dishes, and so much more! Especially with the beautiful bright jewel toned pink color.
- Red Onions – the deep purple onions turn to a gorgeous bright jewel toned pink and have a sweet but strong flavor. Feel free to substitute other onions if the color is not important.
- Vinegar – cheap white distilled vinegar works just fine but red wine vinegar, rice wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or any vinegar you have on hand can be used instead. You can even use citrus juice or mix vinegar and citrus.
- Sugar – granulated white sugar is sweet and dissolves easily but you can always substitute with your favorite sweetener or leave out entirely.
- Optional – add garlic cloves, dried chile flakes, ginger or anything else that sounds good to you!
Step by step instructions
- Slice onions in rounds or half moons and boil a couple of cups of water.
- Combine sugar, salt and vinegar to a sealable glass container and stir or shake.
- Pour hot water over onions in medium bowl and let sit for about 30 seconds to blanch, brighten their color and soften their sharp bite.
- Drain onions and add to vinegar combination.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
How to store
Quick pickled onions will keep for at least a few weeks in the refrigerator. If they last that long!
How to serve
Eat quick pickled red onions on everything! Tacos, chile verde pork, classic beef chili, avocado toast, puerto rican pork roast, hot dogs, pizza, salads, sandwiches, cheese plates, and these delicious grilled burgers with blueberry goat cheese and arugula.
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup vinegar
- Bring a couple cups water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, add salt, sugar and vinegar to sealable glass container and stir or shake until combined.
- Place sliced onions in medium bowl. Pour hot water to cover and let sit 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain and add to vinegar combination.
- Place lid on container and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, up to 2 weeks.