Perfect Roasted Garlic Cloves is a great simple technique for creamy roasted garlic, without stickiness or waste.
Roasted garlic recipe
This perfect garlic recipe is a basic kitchen staple. Once you learn this method for how to roast garlic cloves you will find so many ways to use roasted garlic. You can swirl roasted garlic into sauces, spread it on pizza, use it for garlic mashed potatoes and so much more!
- Garlic – the freshest garlic will yield the most flavorful roasted garlic, look for a nice dense bulb with crisp, juicy cloves. Garlic that is past it’s prime will be light and dried out. Unlike other techniques this roasted garlic recipe can be made with individual cloves although roasting a head or two at a time is always suggested.
- Optional: salt, herbs and a drizzle of oil are recommended but it can be roasted without oil or any other seasonings.
Step by step instructions
Refined over the years this garlic roasting technique yields the same toasty, buttery heads of garlic but with no mess or waste! Save yourself the headache of sticky, papery peel covered fingers. And also make sure you’re able to use every last piece of garlic with this easy method!
- Rub off papery outer peel of the garlic head and break apart into individual cloves without removing the peel from the clove.
- Trim each clove at the root end.
- Wrap in foil, drizzle with oil and sprinkle salt and fresh or dried herbs.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until soft, about an hour.
- Open pouch and let cool.
- Then squeeze each clove gently at the untrimmed end and watch the as the garlic easily slides out without leaving any sticky papery peels on your fingers!
How to use
The uses for roasted garlic are endless.
- Spread roasted garlic cloves onto homemade pizza, burgers or sandwiches.
- Swirl garlic into sauces and soups and mashed potatoes.
- Use roasted garlic as the base for dips.
- Add to frittatas or smear on avocado toast.
- Place some roasted garlic cloves on your next charcuterie or cheese board.
- Add to compound butter to use for all sorts of dishes, including oysters!
- Roll up into savory homemade stuffed rolls.
How to store
Store roasted garlic refrigerated up to 7 days.
- 20 cloves garlic from about 2 heads of garlic
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or any oil of your choice
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate head of garlic into individual cloves. Rub off any papery skin but do not completely peel the cloves. Trim the end off the stem end of each clove.20 cloves garlic
- Place cloves in the center of a small square of foil, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, add herbs and gather up into a pouch.2 teaspoons canola oil, 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, salt
- Bake directly on the oven rack until soft and lightly browned, about an hour.
- Open the pouch and let cool until cool enough to handle. Then squeeze each clove gently at the untrimmed end until perfect cloves of roasted garlic pop out.
- Store refrigerated until ready to use.