Blistered Shishito Pepper Sauce is a tangy all purpose green sauce recipe that adds bright shishito pepper flavor to all sorts of dishes.
Use as a shishito pepper hot sauce, dip, salsa, or braising sauce, pasta sauce, salad dressing, wet marinade and more!
Shishito pepper sauce
To make Shishito Pepper Sauce start with a perfect blistered shishito peppers recipe. Then blend into a pepper sauce with the charred onions, garlic, lime juice, herbs and stock.
It’s a great all purpose spicy green condiment that adds amazing flavor to anything you put it on – meat, pasta, vegetables, sandwiches, wraps, chips and more.
You can even use as a braising sauce for perfectly braised beef. The shishito peppers add great flavor and a little spice, like this Pepperoncini Pot Roast.
Developed in partnership with Genuine Skagit Valley as a part of a series of recipes highlighting the produce, meat, seafood and more from local farm stands near me in Skagit Valley WA.
For more Farmstand Fresh recipes check out Lamb Kleftiko, Blueberry Pie Martini, Lavender Simple Syrup, Tomato Bruschetta with Cheese, Notcho ‘Cheese’ Crispy Kale Chips and Caprese Steamed Clams.
If looking for things to do in Skagit Valley visit Skagit Valley Farmstand Fresh for a list of great Skagit valley farms, restaurants, breweries and more in Skagit county. Perfect for Skagit Valley Tulip Festival season or anytime!
- Shishito peppers – shishito peppers are a japanese pepper that are not spicy. But if you’d like to make a spicy shishito pepper hot sauce you can also add a few spicy hot peppers of your choice like jalapeno, habanero, etc.
- Onion – white onion or whatever onion you’d like.
- Garlic – fresh garlic cloves
- Dried spices – ground coriander, ground cumin
- Fresh herbs – parsley and cilantro
- Stock – chicken or vegetable
- Vinegar – white vinegar or substitute another light vinegar
- Lime juice
- Salt and Pepper
Step by step instructions
- Prepare blistered shishitos then allow to cool slightly before popping the stems off.
- Add to blender or food processor with 1 clove garlic, stock, salt and pepper, oregano, lime juice and cilantro.
- Process until smooth.
- Use immediately or store refrigerate for later.
How to use
Use Shishito Pepper Sauce like you would chimichurri, salsa verde or salsa.
Use as a wet marinade for chicken, pork or seafood. As a topping for grilled oysters or as a dipping sauce chips and bread.
Use as a base for braising meat like Shredded Shishito Pepper Braised Beef. Or use it to flavor steamed clams, fish, etc.
Pour on pasta, vegetables, potatoes, eggs and grilled meat. Or slather on sandwiches, tacos and wraps.
This shishito peppers recipe is such a delicious method to use shishito peppers in many different ways!
This recipe yields about 2 cups of shishito pepper sauce. Or about enough for roughly 16 2 tablespoon servings.
Store tightly covered refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- 1 quart shishito peppers about 4 cups
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley leaves and stems
- ½ cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or substitute any other light vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice from about ½ lime
- Salt and pepper
- In a cast iron pan over high heat add shishito peppers to a tablespoon of oil.
- Cook without stirring until beginning to blister, about a minute.
- Add sliced onion slices and stir fry until peppers are blistered, about 3-4 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool slightly before cutting the stems off.
- Add cooled, stemmed blistered shishitos a food processor or high-powered blender with remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Transfer to jar or other lidded container.
- Refrigerate until ready to use, up to 5 days.
Leave a Reply