Pretzel Chip Cookies have pretzels in the batter three ways, brown sugar & a delicate dusting of flaky sea salt for a deep, toasty flavor, and an addicting chewy + crispy texture.
This is a perfect classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, with a twist. Pretzel twists, that is! Loads of pretzely goodness that just begs you to reach for more and more and more!
Pretzels three ways
Ground into flour, chopped and mixed into the batter and places on top the pretzels in those pretzel chip cookies also add a crispy crunchy texture that is perfection combined with the super chewy brown sugar heavy cookies. Seriously just try to walk a way from the cookie jar for long. They’re SO ADDICTING. Just make sure you stock up on milk.
How to Make Pretzel Chip Cookies
Everyone has their own version of the perfect chocolate chip cookie and this Pretzel Chip Cookie recipe is based on mine! Perfectly chewy and best when slightly under cooked these cookies stay chewy in the center with just a slight crispy edge and mounds and mounds of chocolate chips.
This classic recipe for chocolate chip cookies originates from the back of a store-brand chocolate chip package. And we’ve been making it for at least 15 years, if not longer. It’s the same that fueled me through many countless sleepless nights as a new mama. Without the countless batches my hubs made I’m not sure I would have made it through all those late night feedings!
Just a few twists go from classic perfect chocolate chip cookies to over the top amazing toasty, salty, super-chewy pretzel cookies!
Substitute a little homemade pretzel flour for all purpose in the batter. Mix in pretzel chunks for extra crunch and up the amount of brown sugar for extra chew. Finally, top with a full pretzel so there’s no mistaking what’s inside. If you’re feeling extra add a chocolate smear and dusting of flaked salt to really bring home the chocolate chip + pretzel theme.
Pretzel Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups pretzel twists divided into 1/2 cup and 1 cup
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature, 2 sticks
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt fleur de sel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pulse 1/2 cup pretzel twists in food processor until only fine sandy-like pieces remain. Or fill up a plastic bag and smash with a rolling pin or wine bottle until fine to make 1/4 cup pretzel flour. Chop 3/4 cup pretzels and leave the remaining 1/4 cup pretzel twists whole.
- In a medium bowl whisk all purpose flour, pretzel flour, baking soda and salt to combine.
- Cream butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then add eggs, one at a time until smooth before stirring in vanilla.
- Gradually add flour mixture and stir just until combined. Add chopped pretzels and chocolate chips. Stir. Scoop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheet. Add a whole pretzel or a few large pieces to the top of each cookie and sprinkle on a few chocolate chips.
- Bake 4 minutes in preheated oven, remove and smooth the chocolate chips into a smear over the top. Sprinkle fleur de sel and continue baking just until beginning to set in the center 2-3 minutes more. Remove and let cool on baking sheet 1 minute before transferring to racks to cool. Keep in airtight container at room temperature for up 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.