Baked Honey Ginger Chicken is an easy weeknight dinner recipe that takes only a few minutes to prepare and results in tender meat, crispy skin and big flavor!
Grated ginger, fresh garlic, and tamari soy combine with butter to add flavor while the chicken roasts in a hot oven then glazed with honey for the last few minutes this is one dinner recipe that’s sure to stick in your weekly rotation!
How to Make Baked Chicken
Baked chicken is an easy weeknight dinner miracle! It’s so simple to prepare and there are endless possibilities for flavoring. Plus, since you can cook up all different pieces of chicken there’s something for everyone! Just make sure that you choose bone-in, skin-on chicken for the most tender and flavorful end result as boneless skinless varieties get too tough and dry if baked.
To make perfect baked chicken simply preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Accurately preheating the oven ensures that the center of the chicken is thoroughly cooked at the same time the skin is nice and crispy.
Season the chicken as desired – all you really need is salt and pepper but the options are endless!
Prepare a broiler pan or sheet pan fitted with a drying rack by covering it with aluminum foil and pop holes to allow the air to circulate. Place chicken pieces skin side up and making sure not to crowd the pan and bake until opaque throughout. Leaving space between pieces and baking them on a low sided sheet allows air to circulate for the crispiest, most evenly cooked baked chicken ever!
Baked chicken is equally delicious warm or at room temperature so it’s the perfect make ahead meal! Simply make as directed and cool to room temperature then refrigerate up to five days or freeze up to three months. Serve chilled or reheat.
Roast chicken is so great because there are endless options for seasoning! Coat the skin with herbs and spices and add flavored butters under the skin. Or whip up a glaze to coat on top for the final few minutes of roasting.
Baked Honey Ginger Chicken Recipe
This Baked Honey Ginger Chicken recipe takes advantage of all the chances it can to add flavor to the chicken with garlic/ginger/soy butter under the skin before baking and a heavy dose of honey during the final few minutes of baking.
Use tamari soy and serve with rice and vegetables. Roasted or steamed broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach, peppers, green beans, asparagus, and zucchini are all delicious!
However you choose to serve it this is one easy and family friendly weeknight meal!
- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken legs or mixed chicken pieces
- 5 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated, or ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- sprinkle fresh basil, scallions or chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix 3 tablespoons butter with ginger, garlic and soy.
- Loosen skin with your finger and rub ginger butter under skin on all chicken pieces. Pat the skin dry with paper towels then brush with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Prepare baking sheet by fitting it with a broiler pan or drying rack covered with aluminum foil. Pop air vents through foil and place chicken on sheet spacing pieces evenly and making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 25-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle honey evenly over chicken. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and roast 10 minutes more, or until temperature registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes before serving. Serve with rice or noodles and roasted vegetables.
pin for later!