Cilantro Lime Coleslaw is a delicious spin on traditional coleslaw with a flavorful coleslaw dressing.
Perfect for adding crunch and brightness alongside barbecue and roasted meat and on sandwiches, tacos, burgers and more!
Inventive coleslaw recipe
Cilantro Lime Coleslaw is a delicious new take on coleslaw, the cold salad classic. Perfect for those looking for different coleslaw recipes based on traditional coleslaw.
With a cilantro lime crema salad dressing and simple shredded veggies this is a great side dish recipe.
Typically coleslaw dressing ingredients are vinegar, mayo and sugar but this inventive coleslaw recipe substitutes flavorful lime zest and juice to provide the acidity instead. Along with a hefty amount of cilantro in both the shredded vegetable mix and the homemade dressing. You can also substitute mexican crema for the mayonnaise to make a mayo free coleslaw with even more Mexico-inspired flavor.
- Cabbage – either pre-shredded or you can easily shred your own head of cabbage using a sharp knife. Green cabbage is the best cabbage to use for coleslaw. Red or ‘purple’ cabbage can be substituted but the color from the cabbage will run into the dressing and cause the entire coleslaw to turn purple.
- Carrots – shredded with a box grater.
- Cilantro – chopped in the salad and also in the dressing.
- Scallions– sliced to add bursts of flavor to the crunchy coleslaw.
- Creamy cilantro lime dressing – minced garlic, lime zest and juice, granulated sugar, salt, sour cream and mayonnaise. To make coleslaw without mayo substitute more sour cream or even greek yogurt.
- Optional – add a little cumin powder to the dressing for extra smoky flavor. Or some minced jalapeno or a couple splashes of your favorite hot sauce, or even ground horseradish, to make spicy cilantro lime slaw.
Step by step instructions
- Make cilantro lime dressing. Finely mince or grate garlic using a box grater. Add to a small bowl with sugar and lime juice. Whisk in mayo and sour cream. Then add chopped cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Or simply toss all ingredients into blender or food processor and blend smooth.
- Shred cabbage with a sharp knife and use a box cheese grater to easily shred carrots. Or simply substitute bagged coleslaw mix.
- Toss shredded vegetables with dressing and either serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
For crunchy coleslaw it’s best to serve immediately after combining. But if you allow the flavors to meld for a little longer you’ll have much better flavor and just a little softer coleslaw making it a great choice to serve at parties and events because you can make it ahead of time. Refrigerate tightly covered for up to five days. Liquid will be drawn out of the cabbage though causing the coleslaw dressing to become slightly more watery. Simply drain dressing and serve.
How to serve
Cilantro Lime Coleslaw is perfect to serve on or alongside so many meals! For fish tacos, pork tacos, fish sandwiches, hoagies, pulled pork sandwiches, burgers and so much more! It’s also great for adding crunch to grain bowls, and is a delicious accompaniment to any grilled or roasted meat dishes.
- 1 medium green cabbage about 8 cups shredded or substitute 1 14 ounce bag of coleslaw mix
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- 2 medium green onions sliced
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest and juice limes. Finely mince or grate garlic using a box grater. Add to a small bowl with sugar and lime juice. Whisk in mayo and sour cream. Then add chopped cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Or simply toss all ingredients into blender or food processor and blend smooth.
- Shred cabbage with a sharp knife and use a box cheese grater to easily shred carrots.
- Toss shredded vegetables with dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!