With the rich flavors of Worcestershire and garlic in a spicy sweet caramel coating these Brown Sugar Sriracha Roasted Pumpkin Seeds are a fun, healthy snack the whole family will love.
Next time you carve pumpkins or cook fresh pumpkins don’t throw out the pumpkin seeds. They make great snacks that are rich in fiber (and kids love them!). I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for the weeks leading up to Halloween, but instead I’ve just been over here shoveling handfuls of these crunchy little seeds into my mouth and wondering why I don’t roast pumpkin seeds more often.
Delicious and healthy, roasted pumpkin seeds were a big part of my childhood Halloweens. I can close my eyes and picture the whole family gathered around the kitchen table, elbow deep in pumpkin guts while mom gathers, cleans and roasts the seeds for us.
Therefore after my daughter was born, I knew that I wanted her to have similar holiday tradition memories. So 14 years ago, I created this recipe for Brown Sugar Sriracha Roasted Pumpkin Seeds on the first Halloween I celebrated as a mom.
As I do with most traditions, I took something familiar and infused it with a bit of me – my own tastes and personality – to create something new and perfectly suited for me and my family. Read more about Halloween traditions and pumpkin seeds here.
How to Make Brown Sugar Sriracha Roasted Seeds
I knew that there was so much potential when I looked down at that sheet of dried pumpkin seeds all those years ago. Because throwing seeds in the oven with oil and salt like Mom did was good, but we could do better.
A coating of melted butter, Sriracha hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder and salt becomes a sweet and spicy caramel coating in the oven.
Now with 3 kids, 5 pumpkins and a family with an affinity for big jack o lanterns, I have my work cut out for me. Consequently, the rewards are big too… enough pumpkin seeds to snack on for weeks! Plus enough pumpkin seeds to store away and use to top salads and soups for months. Which is great because TRUST once you start snacking these seeds you won’t be able to stop!
Brown Sugar Sriracha Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- 8 cups pumpkin seeds rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup sweet cream butter melted (4 tablespoons or half a stick)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dry pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet either overnight on the counter or in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Coat pumpkin seeds with butter in a large bowl. Add worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, sriracha, sea salt and garlic. Stir.
- Spread the seeds on a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake stirring often, until golden brown and caramelized about 30 minutes.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature for a couple weeks or in the refrigerator for several months
What holiday traditions have you carried on from your childhood? Have you updated them in any way? Leave me a comment below, I’d love to know!