Crispy Mushroom and Kale Salad is a warm, nutritious flavor packed meal perfect for for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
With a citrusy homemade dressing and loads of flavor packed ingredients this will soon become your new favorite kale recipe.
There are many studies showing that certain “anti inflammatory” foods can have an overall inflammation reducing effect on the body.
A foods ‘Inflammation Rating’ is it’s measure of how inflammatory or anti-inflammatory it is. These IF Ratings show that seafood, hot peppers, garlic, onions, orange and dark green leafy veggies are the most inflammation reducing foods you can consume.
And this warm breakfast kale salad has it all!
Sheet pan roasted onions and mushrooms tossed with garlic, kale and a homemade oregano olive oil dressing. Oven roasted on a sheet pan until crispy then tossed with sautéed kale and a citrusy homemade oregano dressing.
- bacon – 1 pound, chopped into roughly 1″ pieces
- onion – sliced
- shiitake mushrooms – 4 cups sliced. Or substitute absolutely any mushrooms you prefer like crimini, button mushrooms or foraged wild mushrooms like chanterelles.
- garlic – 4 cloves, 3 whole 1 chopped
- kale – 2 bunches stems removed and roughly chopped
- lime – 1 small, juiced
- olive oil
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread bacon and onion evenly on a baking sheet.
- Add mushrooms, 3 whole garlic cloves and toss with salt and pepper.
- Roast until bacon is fully cooked, about 20 minutes. Stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile prepare dressing. Juice one lime, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk.
- And sauté kale in a large pan over medium high heat with olive oil and chopped garlic. Cook about 3 minutes until bright green.
- Remove from heat and toss with lime oregano dressing to coat.
- Remove bacon and onions from oven when crispy.
- Toss kale with other ingredients on the sheet pan to keep warm. Then wipe out skillet and use it to fry an egg for each serving.
- Serve Crispy Mushroom and Kale Salad topped with a fried egg and a slice of crusty bread.
This sheet pan meal yields 4-6 servings, depending on how light or generous they are. Easily doubled for a larger family or for a brunch crowd. Or adapted for a smaller serving cooked in a skillet instead! This smaller serving size is also perfect as a campground meal cooked over open flames.
What to make with kale
- 1 pound bacon chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms or any combination of any variety,
- 4 cloves garlic 3 whole, 1 chopped
- 2 bunches kale stems removed and chopped
- 6 large eggs
oregano lime dressing
- 1/4 cup lime juice from 1 small lime
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spread bacon and onion on baking sheet. Add mushrooms, 3 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper.
- Roast mixture about 20 minutes or until bacon is fully cooked. Stirring once after 10 minutes.
- Make dressing by whisking lime juice, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 chopped garlic clove.
- When garlic is fragrant, after about 30 seconds, add kale and cook until bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Toss the cooked kale with the oregano lime dressing. When bacon and onions are crispy remove from oven and add the seasoned kale.
- Wipe out the skillet and use it to fry one egg for each serving.
- Serve crispy mushrooms and kale topped with a fried egg and a slice of rustic bread.