Classic Fluffy Pancakes are easy to make from scratch and can be frozen as a quick make ahead breakfast.
A total crowd pleaser and completely customizable to anyone’s unique tastes.
Easy everyday breakfast
It’s amazing how few people make pancakes from scratch. Pancakes are one of those recipes that although not the healthiest, can be easily made with very few basic ingredients. Simply a basic uncomplicated pancake recipe that will encourage you to ditch the mix!
- egg – 1 whole large egg or equivalent egg substitute like flax egg or aquafaba.
- milk – whole milk or substitute any alternative milk you choose.
- sugar – granulated white sugar or alternative sweetener like honey, agave, stevia, etc, whatever you like!
- canola oil – or any oil alternative like vegetable oil, olive oil or grapeseed oil
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
Step by step instructions
- Preheat large skillet to medium low until evenly heated. Give this step a little time, the goal is a low even but very preheated heat for perfectly evenly browned pancakes. And preheat oven to 200 degrees, unless you will be serving pancakes immediately as they come out of the pan.
- In medium bowl whisk egg with milk, sugar and oil.
- In another medium bowl whisk flour with baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and whisk just until it comes together, about 30 seconds. Batter will still be lumpy.
- To check if skillet is preheated pour a small dollop of batter into the center and test how it cooks. Pan should be hot enough to lightly sizzle the edges then slowly and evenly brown and allow the pancake to release easily when flipped, which should take no longer than 1-2 minutes.
- When pan is preheated pour slightly less than ¼ cup batter onto the skillet, or use a ladle or large spoon.
- Cook until bubbly on top, puffed and dry around edges, then turn and cook until golden brown on other side. Store in preheated oven until ready to serve and repeat with remaining batter.
This recipe yields about 5 medium sized pancakes, enough for 2 hungry people are a few little people. Easily doubled to serve a larger crowd or to store as an easy make ahead meal prep breakfast.
How to store
Store refrigerated in a single layer for up to 3 days. Best reheated lightly in the toaster. Or freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet and transfer to freezer bags or vacuum seal and store for up to 3 months. Frozen pancakes can be reheated in the toaster. For extra fluffy frozen pancakes reheat lightly in the microwave before toasting, or toast twice.
This basic everyday Fluffy Pancakes recipe can easily be customized to fit any unique tastes! Add chocolate chips, freeze dried fruit or sprinkles into the batter. Or add slices of your favorite fresh fruit, chopped nuts, coconut or even a sprinkle of sugar to the top before flipping like these Pina Colada Pancakes or Coconut Banana Pancakes. Or place fresh fruit in the middle and cover with more batter like these strawberry pancakes. The options are endless!
How to serve
Serve warm homemade Fluffy Pancakes any way you like! Maple syrup and butter, peanut butter, jam or jelly or any fresh fruit are always a hit. Or even any combination of toppings, like peanut butter and bacon with maple syrup, yum!
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat skillet to medium low.
- Beat egg, add milk, sugar and oil in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl whisk flour with baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir just until it comes together.
- Pour slightly less than ¼ cup batter onto skillet. Cook until bubbly on top, puffed and dry around edges, turn and cook until golden brown.