Easy Stir Fried Rice recipe is delicious and super adaptable. Great for using up leftovers and whatever veggies you have in the fridge.
Made with whatever you have on hand, it’s always delicious.
You can use ham, bacon, chicken sausage or leave the meat out and make a vegan vegetable-only version.
I love to make this when camping or when at a festival with friends. I bring the ingredients and the rice precooked and mix up a huge batch of stir fried rice and invite everyone to dig in.
This quick and easy fried rice recipe is one of my favorites. I love it not only because it can be on the table in less than 15 minutes but because it is totally customizable. Something you can make based on what you have on hand.
Its a real ‘fridge-clearer’.
Make this stir fried rice recipe before going to the grocery store to use up all of the vegetables in the crisper drawer.
I love that fried rice is so adaptable! You can easily customize it based on whatever you have available and your personal tastes. This is more of a technique rather than a recipe made with whatever aromatics, meat, veggies, herbs and grains that you have.
- cooked brown rice. – Any time I make rice I make a double batch so that there is always some for the next day or to be added to another recipe.
- cooked quinoa – I also had some quinoa in the fridge, so I threw that in too.
- soy sauce
- cilantro and basil
Step by step instructions
- Start by heating a large pan over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and the meat to pan and cook until browned.
- Add aromatics, fresh ginger, garlic, onion.
- Then add vegetables that take longer to cook than the others, like kale and mushrooms.
- Once they cook a bit add the rest of the vegetables.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked through, add the rice.
- Stir everything together and push it all slightly over to the side to expose some of the pan. Pour the eggs in the exposed part of the pan and let set for a few seconds before scrambling.
- Once scrambled stir everything together. Add soy sauce and toasted sesame oil and stir until coated.
- Finish with some fresh herbs, like basil and cilantro if you have them. And scallion greens too.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil canola, coconut, olive, etc.
- 2 cups chopped meat ham, bbq pork, bacon, etc.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced (optional)
- 4 cups chopped vegetables carrots, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kale, mushrooms, etc.
- 4 cups rice cooked
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs cilantro, basil, scallions, etc (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- Heat oil in large pan over medium high heat.
- Add meat to pan. When browned add onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add additional oil if necessary and add vegetables. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice and stir to combine.
- Push the rice mixture to the side of the pan, add more oil if necessary and pour eggs in to the exposed pan. When eggs are scrambled stir everything until combined.
- Add sesame oil and soy sauce and stir until coated.
- Top with herbs, almonds and/or sesame seeds (optional).